Feel silly asking. pH for african cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As Hukit said, if you only have 3 fish flashing and it's not all the time I don't believe you have anything to worry about. Maybe they just have an itch ;-)
I only add salt when I've got a problem.

That's exactly what I'm saying. Now the flashing in your case may just be a swing in PH, because the Epsom salt will act as a buffer.

Epsom salt = Magnesium Sulfate. It is not a buffer. It increases Gh, not Kh. Carbonate salts are buffers. epsom salt has very little impact on Kh or pH. Flashing is due to the general hardness of water. By adding epsom salt and increasing the Gh the fish are more 'comfortable' and flashing ceases.

Epsom salt = Magnesium Sulfate. It is not a buffer. It increases Gh, not Kh. Carbonate salts are buffers. epsom salt has very little impact on Kh or pH. Flashing is due to the general hardness of water. By adding epsom salt and increasing the Gh the fish are more 'comfortable' and flashing ceases.

Yes, I'm fully aware of water chemisty and what different properties have a effect on it, I was merely making a statement of why his fish stopped flashing after adding epsom salt.

Last edited:
mmm. ok. Hey, I was just pointing out that your mere statement of why his fish stopped flashing was partially incorrect. You are right that the epsom salt is why, however your explination of the effect the epsom salt had on water chemistry was incorrect.

Back
Top Bottom