Female betta acting wierd

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clearpilot17

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Few days have gone by and she actin wierd just stays at the top ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1456165567.717035.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1456165579.864706.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What size tank is she in? Is there a filter, heater, water conditioner being used? What decor is in her tank with her?

Her fins look a little clamped so I'm going to guess she is stressed out. I can help more if you are able to answer the questions posted above.

Just a little I can give you now: Bettas like warm water (72°-80°). They tend to be more active in warmer water.
Bettas need some type of filtration just like any other fish. You can get away with not having a filter if you are willing to do daily water changes.
Bettas are very intelligent fish and like decor for stimulation and hiding. If there are areas for her to lie in and hide in she'll do much better.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

55l and fuvel 2 , temp 25c ,

And drift wood and Java leafs and moss balls

Well it sounds like the tank is large enough and you have it filtered and heated and there are decor for her to hide in. So I guess we move on to the next questions from here.

Did you cycle the tank before adding her?
What water conditioner are you using?
What are your water parameters?
Are there any tank mates?
Is she eating? If no, what are you trying to feed her?

If your tank was not cycled before adding her then she's stressed by the ammonia or nitrites in the tank. This is why I ask of water parameters to make sure that the tank is cycled.
Water conditioners vary and that question is just to make sure that the chlorine (or whatever disinfectant they use in the tap water is neutralized) is taken care of.
I ask if she's eating because bettas can be picky eaters. When I bought my female betta she would not eat what my male betta ate so I had to buy her a different type of food. She now eats things that the male betta refuses to eat.

She may just be acclimating to her new move too. My male betta took an hour before he would move from a leaf in his new tank. So maybe keep her lights low and avoid any loud, quick movements by her tank for a few days while she figures it all out.

Those close up photos are of her gills. They are a tad red so it may be that you have high ammonia in the tank but that may also be her coloration.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1456269005.616867.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1456269028.931279.jpg
Just done a strip test the nitrate is 20 but on api that's the highest I have had her about 5 months now and she's with other bettas and galaxy's Rasboras ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1456269206.131663.jpg

And the tanks been up and running a over a year

Well then it's not the tank and it's not anything on your end. I'm curious now if maybe she's being picked on? Keep an eye on her and you may need to separate her if she is being picked on. That's really the only thing I can think of at this point because everything else seems fine.

Okay well this another betta chases her but she gives what takes

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom