Female bettas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a 29 gallon high and i want to do a school of tiger barbs or tetras. I want to add two elephant ear female bettas. Will they get along with each other.? What tankmates can i keep with the bettas. ? One more question, can you explain brackish water to me. ?

Brackish water is a mixture between SW and fw. Not too many fish and plant choices..... And harder to maintain IMO. You are planning on doing a brackish tank?

Brackish water is a mixture between SW and fw. Not too many fish and plant choices..... And harder to maintain IMO. You are planning on doing a brackish tank?

Well i saw some frontosa and figure eight puffers in a brackish tank today. Salesperson told me it was a much higher ph level. Im trying to decide what to put in my 29high. Cant make up my mind.

Well i saw some frontosa and figure eight puffers in a brackish tank today. Salesperson told me it was a much higher ph level. Im trying to decide what to put in my 29high. Cant make up my mind.

Yeah, the downside of many brackish fish is that they have to be in a species specific tank..... Mono fish are really cool brackish fish btw.

Yeah, the downside of many brackish fish is that they have to be in a species specific tank..... Mono fish are really cool brackish fish btw.
What do you recommend for a beginner. ? I have a 55 long and i want to set up the 29 high.

Yes i want the 29 to be brackish and i like the figure eight puffers.

Yup. The puffers or really cool fish. I really don't know what a beginner brackish fish would be. I've never had brackish so I'm not too experienced.
The green spotted puffer is also really cool.

Yup. The puffers or really cool fish. I really don't know what a beginner brackish fish would be. I've never had brackish so I'm not too experienced.
The green spotted puffer is also really cool.

Well my wife really wants to do a school of neons and she is trying to talk me into it. I might just give her the 29 and i will focus on my other tanks. What size tank do you have ?

Well my wife really wants to do a school of neons and she is trying to talk me into it. I might just give her the 29 and i will focus on my other tanks. What size tank do you have ?

Its all up to you :). A school of neons is always really cool and so are brackish fish. The only downside to neons is that they can get neon tetra disease but that's actually never happened to my neons yet so I guess it depends on where the neons came from.
And I have:
1x 55g
2x 10g
1x 20g
1x 20g long ( for a gerbil )
1x 10g ( for a gerbil )
And the pond ( around 200-250g )

Frontosa are African Cichlids. NOT Brackish water fish. Africans like high PH, but not salty water. Frontosa get big and aggressive and males get Nuchal Humps AFAIK.

Very few options for Brackish. Mollies , Scats, etc. not the easiest to set up. Stick w Freshwater till you know enough to decide you want such a specialized tank IMHO. A 29g would be on the small side for most Brackish fish.

If you want a Puffer, set up a FW Pea Puffer in a planted 5g :)

Sorry I just realized you aren't the OP. didn't mean to help Highjack the thread.

Perhaps start a new thread with a new title ?

Frontosa are African Cichlids. NOT Brackish water fish. Africans like high PH, but not salty water. Frontosa get big and aggressive and males get Nuchal Humps AFAIK.

Very few options for Brackish. Mollies , Scats, etc. not the easiest to set up. Stick w Freshwater till you know enough to decide you want such a specialized tank IMHO. A 29g would be on the small side for most Brackish fish.

If you want a Puffer, set up a FW Pea Puffer in a planted 5g :)

Sorry I just realized you aren't the OP. didn't mean to help Highjack the thread.

Perhaps start a new thread with a new title ?

Thats what i thought but i went to my petstore and they had frontosa in a brackish tank woth puffers and african butterflies. Weird. Anyway, im not going with brackish. Not enough options. I will get the 29 high for a neon tank. Setup my 75 gallon and move my cichlids into that one. Then i will get some oddballs for the 55 gallon. Fire eels , rope fish, farowella , tiger shoevelnose , and this one i saw but can't remember its name. Looks like a roach with moth wings.

Thats what i thought but i went to my petstore and they had frontosa in a brackish tank woth puffers and african butterflies. Weird. Anyway, im not going with brackish. Not enough options. I will get the 29 high for a neon tank. Setup my 75 gallon and move my cichlids into that one. Then i will get some oddballs for the 55 gallon. Fire eels , rope fish, farowella , tiger shoevelnose , and this one i saw but can't remember its name. Looks like a roach with moth wings.

Ok cool! I was thinking about an oddball 55g too but then went with planted community instead. Is it called an African butterfly fish? I would not go for fire eels however, they will grow too big for a 55 and will eat the other smaller fish. And rope fish will need a very very tight cover since they can escape and breathe out of water.

Ok cool! I was thinking about an oddball 55g too but then went with planted community instead. Is it called an African butterfly fish? I would not go for fire eels however, they will grow too big for a 55 and will eat the other smaller fish. And rope fish will need a very very tight cover since they can escape and breathe out of water.

I heard about the rope fish but didnt know the fire eels got so big. Scratch that one.

I heard about the rope fish but didnt know the fire eels got so big. Scratch that one.

I love rope fish and fire eel. But fire eel gets so big and the rope fish would most likely eat my smaller fish. :(
But I may get an African butterly fish. Was that the fish you were talking about?

I love rope fish and fire eel. But fire eel gets so big and the rope fish would most likely eat my smaller fish. :(
But I may get an African butterly fish. Was that the fish you were talking about?

Yes i mentioned the african butterfly fish but there is another one i cant remember its name. Its gray and black speckled and has long whiskers like a catfish but its not a catfish. I will find out saturday when i go back to my fish store.

Yes i mentioned the african butterfly fish but there is another one i cant remember its name. Its gray and black speckled and has long whiskers like a catfish but its not a catfish. I will find out saturday when i go back to my fish store.

Ok sounds good. Did you find out?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom