Female dwarf gourami attacking male

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lunch

Aquarium Advice Freak
2 days after getting the center pieces for my 90lt, a male and a female dwarf gourami, he started showing signs of what i thought was a fungal infection on the base of his dorsal fin, pimafix and melafix for 3 days didnt do anything, if fact it was getting worse, not only was it on the fin but now a good 10mm of his body so i start thinking bacterial?
I go get so stuff for bacterial infection, 2 days later his dorsal fin is in 2 pieces and i am just watching him in the tank, at a loss for what to do, hes still eating, swimming but he has added hiding to his habits when she starts following him, she seems to be curious about his fin, she follows him for about 30secs then she bites him, a bit shocked by what i think i see, i wait to see if she does it again, sure enough, twice more and before i can get out a small temp tank and fill it, he is bleeding. Poor guy,
Is this common behaviour for dwarf gouramis?

I'll see if i can get a pic of his injuries

Ouch! Poor guy. Sadly yes, gourami are like cousins to bettas. They will fight each other except in rare cases. I would try to get rid/separate of one of the them so he doesn't suffer any more.

I would personally quarantine him and maybe do a salt bath to alleviate his poor fin. It will also reduce his stress.

You mentioned white spots? I can't tell from the picture but if they are spreading its probably Ich. Which is believable due to the stress of the female.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Na, no white spots but yeah, he will be in quarantine for a while and then he'll be moving into my 290lt, do fins grow back?
Also, you said salt bath, ive not done that b4, what type of salt and how much?

my male didnt make it, the female started chasing all the other fish in the tank so she went back to where she came from and i walked out with 3 purple harlequins and a gbr, the purples started schooling straight away with my standard harlequins and strangely enough, so does the gbr on occasion, ive read the temp may b an issue with gbr minimum temp being 26'c and harlequins max being 25'c but ive had the tank at 26'c for a month and its not bothered the harlequins...

my male didnt make it, the female started chasing all the other fish in the tank so she went back to where she came from and i walked out with 3 purple harlequins and a gbr, the purples started schooling straight away with my standard harlequins and strangely enough, so does the gbr on occasion, ive read the temp may b an issue with gbr minimum temp being 26'c and harlequins max being 25'c but ive had the tank at 26'c for a month and its not bothered the harlequins...

Sorry about the male :( but glad things worked out :)

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Back
Top Bottom