Female Dwarf Gourami that's.... colorful?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nickhendrix007

Aquarium Advice Activist
I know female DG's are grayish with rounded fins and males are colorful with pointed. The first set of DG's I ever bought were colorful and had seemingly round fins but I assumed they were pointy enough, and thus male, because of their color. However, I recently got 2 more DG's for my new tank and they have pointed fins...MUCH pointier than my other two and are just as colorful.

Are they making female DG's that are colorful these days or what? 2 of mine are colorful with very rounded fins (also one appears to be gravid, which always confused me because he/she isnt sick and isnt overfed and I assumed it was a dude) and the other 2 are colorful with very pointy fins. Whats up?

The coleful ones could very well and are most likely females what with the rounded fins. Fish breeding nowadays is giving us some amazingly colorful females in many species.
Some of the fancy guppy females have colors in their fins that were unseen 20 years ago. Same for some of the gouramis and a lot of the ram hybrids. OS.

Cool! Well then I definitely have 2 red females and 2 powder blue males. I could try to pair them and get purple since one of the females if gravid lol.. Who knows :thanks:

I know some DG will be less colorful but will still have the same color as the male for the most part. Here is a female powder blue

1367542854022.jpg
Here is a male

Attachments

• 1367542836672.jpg
    1367542836672.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 259
Do I have a Male or Female?
Also, do you think that something might be starting on the tail? I see a purple spot there and I can't remember if it has always been there or not, so I'm a little worried.

I'm not trying to hijack the thread, but I figured it would be relevant since I do not know the sex of my fish and this is about the specific breed!

Attachments

• photo (3).jpg
    photo (3).jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 120
Do I have a Male or Female?
Also, do you think that something might be starting on the tail? I see a purple spot there and I can't remember if it has always been there or not, so I'm a little worried.

I'm not trying to hijack the thread, but I figured it would be relevant since I do not know the sex of my fish and this is about the specific breed!

You have a male

Back
Top Bottom