Female platies flashing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlindseyjr

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a male and 2 female platies that I bought 2 weeks ago. I know there's always a good chance that platies are pregnant when you bring them home. They aren't fat but their abdomens do look rectangular while the male's is more rounded. The females have been flashing for the last couple days. I've heard of pregnancy flashing but don't know at what stage it happens or if it's normal. No white spots or other signs of ich or velvet. I just went thru a phase of fish dying for no apparent reason. Water params have been steady since I set the tank up. Appreciate any input.

20 gal tank
0 NH3
0 NO2
5 NO3
7.4 pH
GH and KH both º6
Temp 76F

Thanks

Certainly don't treat the fish unless you see signs of illness (have you read Allivymar's article on FW ich?). Keep an eye on them and watch if the females continue to get bigger. I believe they will also show a dark patch on their undersides if they are pregnant.

I have seen my guppys attacking food to make the appearance of flashing... They were just being assertive getting the food and for a short while I was convinced they were flashing because for the most part guppy's usually feed at the surface.

Back
Top Bottom