Fert question !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

himdie

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys I've got a 40g planted tank with eco complete fine grade and I've been using osmocote plus as a fert and I've been wondering if that works for the water column too or just for the roots

I am assuming you are talking about the scotts stuff? If so, don't use commercial fertilizes in a fish tank that are meant for gardens. They may have chemicals and or by products that can be harmful to fish. There are special fertlizers made just for fish tanks.

Hey guys I've got a 40g planted tank with eco complete fine grade and I've been using osmocote plus as a fert and I've been wondering if that works for the water column too or just for the roots

No that won't work to fertilizer the water column. Just be sure to bury it deep in your substrate though.

I am assuming you are talking about the scotts stuff? If so, don't use commercial fertilizes in a fish tank that are meant for gardens. They may have chemicals and or by products that can be harmful to fish. There are special fertlizers made just for fish tanks.

The only hazardous chemical the time release fertilizers like osmocote + have is ammonia. By burying it deep in the substrate and using it sparingly it's 100% safe for the aquarium.

Why even say this? Osmocote plus has become a staple in the planted tank hobby for enriching poor or depleted substrates. Why don't you head over to the dirt tank section and harp on them for using commercial garden soils in their tanks? There are so many commercial products that are cheaper and many times just as good if not better than "speciality nature aquarium" goods. Regardless, the same quality control issues can occur in these products as well.

Just like previously stated if the osmocote isn't pressed into the substrate deep enough or you have a less dense substrate and good flow you could be dosing the water column as well. The problem is that it's fairly slow releasing whereas with dry fert your essentially able to dose the water column instantly.

It's kind of a fair point I think that buyer beware though. For instance I picked up potting mix and at the very last second spotted that it had a soil wetting agent. I know that would be some sort of chemical (pretty common on our sandy soils), so found another potting mix bag.

Edit - I should add that I also bought some laterite from the lfs. Frankly in Australia I'm just being slack because with a bit of hunting with a shovel and mesh sorter, I could get some for free.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom