Fert Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Glenc

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have started up another tank. :) Can or should I add ferts if required before the tank is cycled? I have already got CO2 fired up at 25 ppm. Will this effect the natural process of the developing bio-media in any negative way? Just a thought, TIA.

With the amount of plants in the tank, it shouldn't affect the cycle, other than you might not see one. Just depends on the bioload, or if you are doing fishless. As for adding ferts, I'd probably let the plants tell you if you need to start dosing, and dose as needed.

I prefer to start my fert schedule immediately for what its worth. Adding NO3 shouldn't effect the biofilter, but as LWB said you'll probably never see a cycle with such high plant mass and low bioload.

I usually start light, 10ppm of NO3, 1ppm of PO4, light on traces/iron, but normal K dosing since it won't cause algae.

that's on a brand new tank with new plants. if the plants come from an existing tank (and thus aren't greatly stunted by being transplanted, vs. uprooted, shipped, planted...and probably having to convert to 100% submersed growth)...then I'll dose more like normal.

Back
Top Bottom