Fert Ratio Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ketso

Aquarium Advice Freak
Due to having very high phosphates (probably overdosed them knowing me) and algae all over, I just emptied the water from my, fishless so far, tank and refilled it. Before I add any ferts, I would like to ask a question though. Is there such a thing as a good ratio for the ferts? Or maybe a better question would be, what is considered good levels of each in ppm?

The ferts I have are:
  • KNO3 (Potassium Nitrate)
    KH2PO4 (Mono Potassium Phosphate)
    K2SO4 (Potassium Sulfate)
    Plantex CSM+B
    MgSO4+7H20 (Magnesium Sulfate)
The magnesium was purchased in error and I havent really dosed it much. Way less than what Chuck's suggests. I have no test kit for potassium (do they make one) and my API Phosphate kit doesnt give me good answers. So, another question comes to mind. Is it safe to assume that, if my plants use up 50% of the nitrates, that they also use up roughly 50% of the other ferts? My guess is no because I am sure different plants use minerals differently.

Any insight given on my questions is very much appreciated.

do you run CO2 on this tank?

assuming your do and that you have at least medium light i would generally i aim for...

30 ppm NO3
30 ppm K
3 ppm PO4 (you should aim for 10 ppm NO3 per 1 ppm PO4, not to exceed 40-50ppm NO3)
and enough micro to give me 0.3 ppm Fe

this is with a 50% pwc per week to keep everything from getting to high

is this your 55 gallon if so i would try dosing...
2 tsp KNO3
3/4 tsp KSO4
1/8 tsp KH2PO4
1/2 tsp CSM+B

if not CO2 you might want to dose half that

either way keep an eye out for deficiencies and adjust accordingly IMO

Yeah, my bad! Forgot to add that it is my 55g, DIY Co2 that I keep a diligent eye on (stays between 50 & 90ppm) and 2.3wpg 6500k T8 lighting.

No offense to JDogg above, but would anyone care to confirm his thoughts on dosing. They sound reasonable to me, but what do I know? LOL.

Also, anyone have thoughts on my last question in the original post?

Ketso said:
different plants use minerals differently.
i believe this to be true

Ketso said:
No offense to JDogg above, but would anyone care to confirm his thoughts on dosing. They sound reasonable to me, but what do I know? LOL.
on offense taken always good to get a second or even third opinion. now a forth opinon, that is just pushing it :wink:

I think Jdogg's dosing schedule looks about right Pretty close to what I do. Adjusted for tank size of course.

Based on Jdoggs recomended routine, in a 55g I get these PPM's:

N - 30.6 ppm
P - 2.4 ppm
K - 30.6 ppm

Looks pretty good.
YMMV based on gravel and decor.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom