Fertilising: How Often?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

littlelouie

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 6 gallon/23 litre tropical tank of which I added 4 plants to on Saturday just gone. 2 potted crypts, 1 anubias and 1 java fern. I also bought a 1 fl.oz bottle of fertilizer "Plant Gro Iron Enriched" by Hagen as recommended by LFS.

The bottle instructions are 5ml (appx 1 capful) per 10 gallons(US) which is 37.8 litres. For my tank I will add 3mls.

How often do you need to fertilize aquarium plants? My book doesn't state how often but I am thinking once every 6 mths, is this correct?

Thanks
Louise :D

Weekly is the typical schedule for liquid type fertilizers. You ideally want your planted tank on the edge of algae blooms, this would mean you maximize your dissolved nutrients, in planted tanks algae feeds of excess nutrients.

How often do you need to fertilize aquarium plants? My book doesn't state how often but I am thinking once every 6 mths, is this correct?

As bearfan says, the industry would like you to do it weekly. i find it causes too much growth, i go every 2-3 weeks, when i do my larger water changes.

Bearfan said:
Weekly is the typical schedule for liquid type fertilizers. You ideally want your planted tank on the edge of algae blooms, this would mean you maximize your dissolved nutrients, in planted tanks algae feeds of excess nutrients.

Thanks Bearfan :wink:

corvuscorax said:
i find it causes too much growth, i go every 2-3 weeks, when i do my larger water changes.

I'll keep a watch on the rate of growth, thanks for your input CV :wink:

Louise

Back
Top Bottom