Festae Question True V False.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikem691

Aquarium Advice Addict
Can some one tell me if this is true
Amphilophus festae
Has Y connecting 2nd and 3 black vertical bar.
Eye spot on caudal fin is small and located on the upper portion.
This is the true red terror.

Cichlasoma uropthlamus
No Y connecting the vertical bars
Eye spot is large and covers more than 1/2 of the caudal fin and is mostly centered.
False red terror.
Thanks
Mike

Thanks HUKIT!
3 more questions
At what size can you sex them and how? Or is venting necessary.
does the female top out at about 10" and is a 55 possible for a solo female?
If not what size would it need to be moved to a larger tank and will a 75 work as a perminate size.
Oh and since its you is there a chance of finding them at Aquarium Adventure or singles at the GCCA swap meet?

Thanks HUKIT!
3 more questions
At what size can you sex them and how? Or is venting necessary.
does the female top out at about 10" and is a 55 possible for a solo female?
If not what size would it need to be moved to a larger tank and will a 75 work as a perminate size.
Oh and since its you is there a chance of finding them at Aquarium Adventure or singles at the GCCA swap meet?

At what size can you sex them and how? Around 3 inches or so but I've been fooled a couple of times. I also don't think you'll get the best coloration from a single fish, when she's around others including males is when you'll see the best coloration.

Alone...
27198-albums1492-picture46452.jpg

Same fish in the big tank with tankmates...

27198-albums1492-picture58303.jpg

Does the female top out at about 10" and is a 55 possible for a solo female? Yes they can reach that size but the largest I've personally seen was around 9" and a 75-90g would be a better option in terms of water quality.

Oh and since its you is there a chance of finding them at Aquarium Adventure or singles at the GCCA swap meet? Yes I've purchased from both places. AA had a large males around 10" or so I bought and after slowing introducing him to my female with a tank divider she killed him.

At what size can you sex them and how? Around 3 inches or so but I've been fooled a couple of times. I also don't think you'll get the best coloration from a single fish, when she's around others including males is when you'll see the best coloration.

Alone...
27198-albums1492-picture46452.jpg

Same fish in the big tank with tankmates...

27198-albums1492-picture58303.jpg

Does the female top out at about 10" and is a 55 possible for a solo female? Yes they can reach that size but the largest I've personally seen was around 9" and a 75-90g would be a better option in terms of water quality.

Oh and since its you is there a chance of finding them at Aquarium Adventure or singles at the GCCA swap meet? Yes I've purchased from both places. AA had a large males around 10" or so I bought and after slowing introducing him to my female with a tank divider she killed him.

Would dithers help with the coloration? If not I will have to look into something different because I would think to have tank mates you would need something in the 96" X 24" foot print.

Would dithers help with the coloration? If not I will have to look into something different because I would think to have tank mates you would need something in the 96" X 24" foot print.

I've had three females ranging from 6-8" and they've all been nuts and tankmates including dithers were killed or punished for moving out of a corner. People I know who have pairs or large males have stated their males where always the aggressor so maybe I'm just the lucky one lol.

Lol you just got the bi&%@y ones. I think I'm going to have to go back to the drawing board and pass on them. The color is just so awesome in the pictures I've seen.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So your looking for a single fish for a 55-75g tank?

Well now I'm wondering if I should go a species tank or another single. But yea basically the same as before. I have saved the list from the last post I made that resulted in getting the lyonsi (who is doing great) So yea I'm open to suggestions. I'm still drawn to salvinis but like your female festae all salvini I have had were nutcases.

What about a keeping a couple of pairs of medium sized central amercian cichlids along with a nice shoal of schooling fish? This would make a great looking and active tank, a small portion of my fish below...

Cryptoheros panamensis.

27198-albums9953-picture41002.jpg

Cutteri.

27198-albums9583-picture56034.jpg

Honduran sp.

27198-albums1491-picture63113.jpg

Archocentrus centrarchus.

27198-albums13420-picture63100.jpg

Cryptoheros myrnae.

27198-albums13418-picture63082.jpg

These top out at about 6"?
So 1 pair of 2 species?
I like the looks of Cryptoheros panamensis and Cryptoheros myrnae.

These top out at about 6"?
So 1 pair of 2 species?
I like the looks of Cryptoheros panamensis and Cryptoheros myrnae.

Most Cryptoheros reach around 4-4.5" for males and with females smaller. I also have nanoluteus and septemfasciatus too. They carry all the color without the crazy behavior of the larger centrals.

Just so I understand this right 1 pair of 2 of the pictured should work in a 55 with a school of dithers?

No with a properly set up tank you could do two pairs of them along with a school of tetras or live-bearers. They are not overly aggressive even when spawning, a little fiesty with some flaring but no homocidal tendencies.

OK
Thanks again HUKIT
Now I just need to make up my mind.

Wait I'm confused. You mean 2 pairs of the same type or 1 pair of of 2 different types for a total of 4 fish? Plus the tetras

Wait I'm confused. You mean 2 pairs of the same type or 1 pair of of 2 different types for a total of 4 fish? Plus the tetras

One pair of two different species, yes four cichlids with tetras with a good water change schedule would be fine. A 75g is always a better option as the extra depth allows for better water quality and makes tank set up with breaks in the line of sight easier too.

This type of set up with a large stump allows for two different sides to allow each pair to call "their" territory.

One pair of two different species, yes four cichlids with tetras with a good water change schedule would be fine. A 75g is always a better option as the extra depth allows for better water quality and makes tank set up with breaks in the line of sight easier too.

Okay cool thank you.
I was still waiting for my coffee to kick in.

They have lyonsi at the bolingbrook store again.

Back
Top Bottom