Few loach Q's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nikipike

Aquarium Advice Regular
I bought a trio of skunk loaches to get rid of my snails (pond snails, would like to replace w/ MTS) in my 10gal & are currently doing QT in my 5gal tank. These are only temporary, I only plan to keep them long enough to do their job then i'll trade them back. My 10gal doesn't have a bad infestation. I've seen a few larger snails, but I figure where there are pest snails, there are eggs.

How long will it take these guys to clean them up?

They are really really fun to watch. Darting all over, sticking their noses in the gravel, etc. In a couple of months when I move out, I was planning on moving everything from my 10gal into a 20gal long. I had been considering a school of cories for the bottom, but i'm not a fan of cories.

Are there any smaller loaches (around a trio) that could go in a planted 20gal long & hold their own against bettas?

I have yoyo loaches in a 29 gal and they do a great job, no snails and they get to be 3-4". I'm not familiar with the skunk loaches personally.

It's a fairly minor infestation. Have read the MTS will eat other species eggs & young, so the loaches are just needed for the big guys plus whatever eggs/babies they can find.

Zags, from what i've read, the skunk loach eventually gets to be such a PITA that most need to be kept in a species tank.

But they were pretty much my only choice. Unless I ordered them, between all the LPS I had a choice between skunk loaches, clown loaches, & kuhli loaches (I wanted the kuhli, but they're about 2" long & so delicate looking I was afraid the bettas might kill them.)

I have skunk loaches and they do rather well. If I were you, I'd stick with the skunk loaches, they will hold their own with any other fish. Don't need a species tank for them. They are fun to watch. Also, as soon as you remove the loaches, the snails will come back. I know from experience. ;)

Back
Top Bottom