Fighting Ocellaris Clowns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

weekf

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have 2 ocellaris clowns in a 20 gal. I have had them for 6 months without problem but starting just recently one of them always bullying the other. The other one already had nibbed fins on him as a result of this.

The one always chasing the other one seems a bit larger in size. I previously bought them same size but one seemed to grow bigger and the other one smaller. The big one always chase the small one over the tank especially during feeding time when the smaller one wants to get a bite at the food he is always got chased by this bigger one back to hiding. So I normally feed extra amount now just to make sure the food will get to the bottom so that the smaller clown can have a chance to eat otherwise he will starve to death.

Anyone can shade a light what happened to them? Thanks for your help.

do you have any coral's or anemones in the tank? if you do you might need to get some thing else for the other clown to host in so it will stay away from the bigger ones turf,and if you dont have corals try rearanging the rock so the tank has more hiding spots wich will also disturb thier area and stop some agression.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Yes I have about 7 corals the big one is hosting the torch and the small one, nothin, just hanging somewhere near the rock not close to the torch.

Just that sometime they will occasionally swim out of their territory and meet each other one will chase the other. Especially feeding time when they both come out near the surface to wait for food the big one will chase the small one back down to hiding.

Hey,
I have the exact same situation with my percula clowns. The female constantly bullies the male, untill he has to hide in a corner. At feeding time the male gets a bit of food, but after most of the food has gone, the female chases him back to his corner. At night time she seems less aggressive and he swims more freely around the tank.
I bought them an anenome and neither of them took to it...
I guess there isnt really much you can do!

Its sad to watch the little one get bullied so much though!

Yes I have exactly the same problem as you. Except mine are hosting the corals I have got.

At night I can see they are fine sleeping on the sand bed together just during day time one will chase another especially feeding time. But the small male still manage to eat as I feed extra food so that it can reach the bottom before the big female can clean them all up. But still when she see the small male taking a bite at the food she will chase him away.

Weird stuffs but they seem to be healthy.

I know someone in the same situation that had tomato clowns where the female dominates the male and is much larger in size. Natural course I guess?

Back
Top Bottom