Figure 8 puffer fish tips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KyloRen

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I have an empty 40 gallon breeder tank and I wanted to start a brackish water tank but I don't really know how any tips?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yes how many puffers can fit in a 40 gallon

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Long-term success = 2 puffers
You can add some bumblebee or a knight goby with the 2 puffers. (don't mix knight and bumblebee)

I'm sure there are many people who has added more than 2 in a 40g, but I have not came across a thread about anyone having long-term success (1+ year) by going over the minimum 15g per F8 rule.

I have 2 figure 8 puffers. To make the water brackish, I add 1tbsp. of marine salt per gallon. When you do water changes, just add accordingly depending on the amount of gallons you are replacing. I have not had success adding real plants to the tank, so they are silk. I do have two giant Marimo moss balls that are doing really well. I also have ghost shrimp in the tank. They keep it clean and serve as the occasional snack. Other than the added marine salt, it is no different from my freshwater tanks.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

i dont seem to have luck with f8 puffers. I have a brackish tank with BBGs, my nitrates are always low, the temperature is around 78, 1.005 SG. They are fine for about 4 months then one day they are just dead. I feed them plenty of pond snails and ramshorns to trim their beak/teeth. I have owned 4 and I know that 1 of them died because of internal parasites but i did treat him. I know a lot about them and how to care for them but i think i am very unlucky. I had 1 for 2 years until a major heater malfunction but the other 3 just died randomly. I am going to try again as soon as my LFS gets them in. Lets hope lucky #5 will live for years.

Back
Top Bottom