Filer & Pump Too Big!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

knowone

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Filter & Pump Too Big!?

Hey all,

I recently started a new 20 gal freshwater tank. I am a newbie & have a question (yes, i did search the forum for my question being previously answered to no avail).

So far I don't have any fish yet. Been cycling for a couple weeks. My question is:

*Having a 20 gal tank I am realizing I may need to go bigger. Because of this forethought, I purchased a hang-on filter & aeration pump larger than my tank size. The hang-on filter is designed for 50 gal tanks & the aeration pump is designed for 60-100 gal tanks. Will this be a problem for the 20 gal tank or the fish who will be coming home soon?

Thx again for letting me be a part of this community! Cheers

OK - So I found out the recommended size for filters is aprox double tank size per here:

Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium

Now my only question is aeration pump size being too big? Again, I have a 20 gal freshwater tank & a 60-100 gal aeration pump for it. Will that be a problem?

Any help appreciated!

I always work on halving the rated filter capacity.

As long as you get some surface agitation from either your filter output or bubbler you are good. Im sure your pump is more than sufficient. You can get airflow adjusters if it puts out too much.

I always work on halving the rated filter capacity.

As long as you get some surface agitation from either your filter output or bubbler you are good. Im sure your pump is more than sufficient. You can get airflow adjusters if it puts out too much.

thx! i was worried about the fish being sucked up etc etc but i got a better intake valve filter for that.

Back
Top Bottom