Filter and purigen questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Incisions072185

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a few questions. I'm thinking about adding another filter to my tank, so is it bad or counter productive to have 3 filters? Right now I have 2, a Eheim 2213 canister and a ac 110 on a 75 gal. My tank isn't as clear as I'd ok it to be and it smells all the time. I was thinking about adding an ac 50 to boost my gph by 200. As for purigen, can I put it in my canister and what am I taking out to put this in its place?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

It is not counter productive to add more filters. It may not help though.

What does it smell like and what is your water change schedule and amount?

How often do you clean the filters?

Both filters are fairly new same with the tank. I had the canister running on my old tank since May and cleaned it once. I do changes usually once a week but sometimes it's once every 2 weeks.

If it smells as you say, there is a problem and Purigen will only mask the problem.
What fish do you have and how much water do you change?

It's a community tank with German blue rams, gourami, rasboras, angel fish, leopard fish, and a bunch of Cory cats

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You might not be changing enough water, also try vacuuming the gravel well.

Hard to tell without actual stocking numbers and knowing your water change schedule (both amount changed and how often) on whether the smell is overstocking, trapped debris in the substrate, a bit of both, or something else entirely. Is this a tank with live plants or fake?

While it's impossible to over filter, it is possible to over circulate. My only concern with adding filtration is that your Angels may have trouble with the added current caused by another filter. Their bodies aren't suited for turbulent or fast moving water.

In answer to your original question though, yes, you can add purigen to your canister so long as it's in a bag. You would want to put it where the chemical filtration stage would go. Most people have their canisters set up so that the water goes past mechanical (sponges usually) filtration, then bio filtration (ceramic tubes, bio balls, etc), and then either chemical (carbon, purigen, nitrazorb, etc) or filter floss (for polishing). Most people seem to be going the filter floss route instead of chemical (except for when cleaning out medications after a round of treatment), but it's up to personal preference and budget.

As stated above, Purigen would only mask your underlying problem though.

Stock is as follows:
2 gbr
1 gourami
3 angels
1 leopard fish
5 rasboras
4 tetras
And 12 Cory cats
I try to do a water change at about 35-40% weekly. Sometimes I do it bi weekly, depends how busy I am at work( only get 1 day off). I have a sand substrate that I do vacuum while doing the water change, some areas are harder to reach.
I'm not looking to mask the smell with the purigen, just trying to get clearer water. My canister is set up with the ceramic media first then the sponge then the balls then a black carbon pad and some other white pad(set up the way the box said)

And yes it's planted with both live and fake plants along with drift wood

Hard to tell without actual stocking numbers and knowing your water change schedule (both amount changed and how often) on whether the smell is overstocking, trapped debris in the substrate, a bit of both, or something else entirely. Is this a tank with live plants or fake?

While it's impossible to over filter, it is possible to over circulate. My only concern with adding filtration is that your Angels may have trouble with the added current caused by another filter. Their bodies aren't suited for turbulent or fast moving water.

In answer to your original question though, yes, you can add purigen to your canister so long as it's in a bag. You would want to put it where the chemical filtration stage would go. Most people have their canisters set up so that the water goes past mechanical (sponges usually) filtration, then bio filtration (ceramic tubes, bio balls, etc), and then either chemical (carbon, purigen, nitrazorb, etc) or filter floss (for polishing). Most people seem to be going the filter floss route instead of chemical (except for when cleaning out medications after a round of treatment), but it's up to personal preference and budget.

As stated above, Purigen would only mask your underlying problem though.

I agree with the over circulation with angel fish. It sounds more like suspended organics than anything else considering the stock list, live plants and water change schedule. I have had success using nutrafin bio clear and filter floss. This helped me when I had similar problems with my 30g. It's worth a shot. That and maybe a few days of small 1-3g water change outs in between your biweekly water changes.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I agree with the over circulation with angel fish. It sounds more like suspended organics than anything else considering the stock list, live plants and water change schedule. I have had success using nutrafin bio clear and filter floss. This helped me when I had similar problems with my 30g. It's worth a shot. That and maybe a few days of small 1-3g water change outs in between your biweekly water changes.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What's nutrfin bio clear? I've heard of filter floss but where does it go?

Hmm, your stocking and water change regimen sound like they should be handling things... Have you tested the water coming out of your tap? It could be the smell is originating there due to impurities. Either way, adding Purigen to the canister filter would be my next step to try and fix the smell since it sounds like you're doing everything else right already. It does a really good job at handling loose organics.

I haven't tested my tap yet, but now that you mention it. It does have an odd smell out of the faucet.

Back
Top Bottom