filter cartridge change...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

owen0992

Aquarium Advice Freak
How often should they be completely swapped out? Or should I just rinse my old one well so I keep the BB?

Most people just rinse it off, but do it in old tank water or you'll just kill your BB with tap water. Change it when it's falling apart.

Second the advice from rivercats.

The healthy bacteria are in this sponge and always, always clean it in tank water.

I would advise using carbon and maybe an extra fine filter to "polish" the water. Just put it next to the carbon so its the last filter the water passes through.

I personally never use carbon in my tanks unless I've been dozing medicine, and neither do most people I've encountered on this site. I also agree with rivercats, never replace filter media unless it is literally falling apart. Try not to change it all at once either, seed the new media for a couple weeks or so before removing too much old media.

I personally never use carbon in my tanks unless I've been dozing medicine, and neither do most people I've encountered on this site. I also agree with rivercats, never replace filter media unless it is literally falling apart. Try not to change it all at once either, seed the new media for a couple weeks or so before removing too much old media.

I don't use carbon in my planted tanks because it can remove some of the minerals you dose in your ferts. I do use Purgen in my filters since it only removes organics from the water and it lasts for months. Plus it can be regenerated.

Back
Top Bottom