Filter decision

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brianv1980

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys. Just picked up a 60gal hexagon tank. I have to refinish the stand and make a good to match.

On my previous tanks I have always run eheim 2215 filters. I have 3 of them laying around ready to be put to use. When I picked up the hexagon tank today the previous owner threw in their filter a fluvall 405

So now do I stick with 1 or 2 eheim on the tank or try the fluval. Thanks for the input.

I guess it depends on what you want to keep. The fluval has twice the gph flow. Both are great filters. Reliability is top notch on both. You could look up the power/watts usage of the fluval vs 1 or 2 eheim and see what's cheaper to run also

This may just be MY luck, but unless fluval has started to police their designs: I've owned 3 fluval filters, the G6 the fx6 and the 406. They all grew problems in mid to late life. The fx6 started to leak, the G6's electronics stopped working and required weekly cleaning (blaring design flaw). The 406 I still have, but the media trays increasingly dont fit well together. Of the 3 eheim products I've owned all worked fine throughout their service lives, without an issue.

It's very possible that I got duds in all 3 fluval products, but I thought it worth mentioning.

This may just be MY luck, but unless fluval has started to police their designs: I've owned 3 fluval filters, the G6 the fx6 and the 406. They all grew problems in mid to late life. The fx6 started to leak, the G6's electronics stopped working and required weekly cleaning (blaring design flaw). The 406 I still have, but the media trays increasingly dont fit well together. Of the 3 eheim products I've owned all worked fine throughout their service lives, without an issue.

It's very possible that I got duds in all 3 fluval products, but I thought it worth mentioning.
The eheim are great, and because of the open design it leaves you open to a plethora of media options

The eheim are great, and because of the open design it leaves you open to a plethora of media options

Agreed. Eheim was the first aquarium company that I learned to respect. But that was years ago. Does anyone have any contemporary experience with them? For instance, their wet/dry canister filters have looked interesting for years.

Well the fluval is up and running. I DO like that there is only 1 filter and 1 set of hoses running. I have I’ll reserve judgement for a few months. I did read that the fluval s beat up the impellers so I did order a spare from Amazon. In the YEARS of running eheims I think I only replaced 1 impeller.

Noise level is about the same between the 2 but I do like the water flow rate adjustment and the quick disconnects for cleaning.

Good luck. (y) And should you need it Fluval support is AAA (as of about 2-years ago). The woman I spoke with was patient and knowledgeable. A great combination.

I'm always nice, when I get what I want. Customer service is always that way, on both sides.

BTW Charlie, about that TV I just wall mounted? If you still haven't mounted your's, It's possible, if your TV uses WiFi, to have only one cable to worry about. Power. Performance is the same as broadcast or cable.

I'm always nice, when I get what I want. Customer service is always that way, on both sides.

BTW Charlie, about that TV I just wall mounted? If you still haven't mounted your's, It's possible, if your TV uses WiFi, to have only one cable to worry about. Power. Performance is the same as broadcast or cable.
OK cool, good to know, thanks. I'm gonna mount it this week. Or next. Or soon, cuz I keep saying I am

Yeah, I love to quick disconnect. That's the only gripe I have about my eheim 2215 and 2217; they leak and are difficult to break down

It's sad that aquarium people don't seem to be interested in PC water-cooling fittings and tubing. Both, in most cases, are industrial grade. The pumps alone are food-grade, have huge MTPFs and 2 can be combined into 1 pump with 39-feet of head pressure.

Back
Top Bottom