Filter died

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jbhfd4

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

My Marineland 75 decided to throw in the towel this morning. Tried everything I could and it seems that it flat out burned out.

I have limited time before leaving for work so I had an old TopFin 50 from my old 10g laying around.

I took the media that was in the 75 and cut it it fit in the 50, making a huge mess in the process of my sink and my tank ( cloudy water now which I'm hoping will just work itself out )

This is just a temporary solution as I plan on buying a new filter and that it's only the filter cartridge in there and nothing else.

I'm trying not to disturb my cycle as I fear i may have already done so.

What filter brand is recommended for a 10g and how do I get it going without disturbing the cycle to the point it harms the fish?

Is using Tetra SafeStart a good idea or something similar?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I personally like Aqueon filters they're easy to use and I've never had a problem with them except for sand getting into it (which was my fault) but if the motor stops working you can easily take it apart to clean it out or replace something without having to spend the money on a new filter. If you're looking for a internal filter I've also been using the ones by tetra which I like a lot only down side is having to by the cartridges for them unlike the Aqueon which has the carbon filter pads and ceramic beads separate. As for cycling the tank I've never personally done a full cycle I've always used a product from tetra and added fish in right away and never had a problem not sure what it was but I would try the safestart or safestart plus.

Thanks for the reply! I went out and bought the aqueon quiet flow 10 and so far so good!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom