Filter exchange

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thomasina

Aquarium Advice Freak
Have a 20 g cycled tank with an aquaclear filter. Getting a smaller aquaclear filter for a 10 g not cycled. Can I take the sponge from the 20g and put it into the 10 g filter for a faster cycle? Will the new sponge effect the 20 tank? Can't run two filters in the ten because there isn't enough room on the tank and can't take the lid off because of the cat. Thank you.

If you put all of the media in the 10g's filter, the 20g will probably go through a minicycle due to the loss of all the bb. I would only put a small portion of the 20's media in the 10's filter, to prevent a minicycle and to kick-start the 10's cycle. I always keep extra filter pads in my filters so I can put a pad or two in another filter without causing a minicycle.

When do you plan on getting the new tank? If you can, stuff some extra filter media in the current cycled tank until you get the new tank all set up... after that.. just move the extra media into the new filter....

Can't you run 2 filters on the 20 gallon? That's what I did to cycle my 20 high new Aquaclear 30, I made sure to run it together for 2 weeks then throw it on the new tank with a piece of Used filter pad. its better if you can run both filters on the 20 gallon for 3 weeks. Then its instant cycle. You still have to test, and make sure it takes. but faster

The 10g has an old Penquin 100 running, but it sure doesn't work like an Aquaclear. The 10 is in the middle of a BB right now. I guess it would be okay to rip the old filter apart and put some of it into they Aquaclear. It was suggest and sounds ok.

The 10g has an old Penquin 100 running, but it sure doesn't work like an Aquaclear. The 10 is in the middle of a BB right now. I guess it would be okay to rip the old filter apart and put some of it into they Aquaclear. It was suggest and sounds ok.

Not sure what a BB is... But if the 10g isnt cycled, using the media from it in a new filter wont help much.

Grab the bio ceramics and sponge from the new AC filter and put it in a net. Then place the net in front of the old filter's water output. Leave it there for three weeks and then put it in the new filter housing.

You can also use scissors and cut the foam from the Penguin's cartridge and put it into the new filter's housing. Do this at the same time you move the netted media to put in the new filter (after three weeks).

David

Back
Top Bottom