Filter media for wet/dry setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RussMcTyre

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a drilled freshwater aquarium (African cichlids) with a MegaFlow wet/dry filter. This particular filter comes equipped only with a pre-filter pad that filters the water prior to flowing over the bio-balls.

The pre-filter pad has no carbon or any other filter media in it.

Should I be using some additional chemical filtration in my setup? If so, do you suggest putting carbon in a bag and placing it directly under the pre-filter pad? Any other suggestions?

carbon isnt always needed. its a personal option. carbon lasts a couple weeks before it sucks up all that it can.

You don't need carbon unless you are trying to pull out meds or tannin or something. <And pwc will prob do a better job than carbon.> If you add carbon, put it in a mesh beg & right after the prefilter.

Carbon is a pretty good media for bacteria to grow on. I have a bag of Carbon with my bioballs. I never change it out, and it serves as additional surface area to culture my bio-bugs (but not as any kind of chemical filter, as it is basically spent carbon.) <When I have to set up a QT, I take it out to seed the tank & avoid a cycle.>

Back
Top Bottom