Filter media recommendations?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sam180

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey all, I've had a 75g tank up and running for about three weeks now and am using a Fluval 406 filter. To start out, I am just using the media that was included - carbon, BioMax and Biofoam. The employee at my LFS told me the Biomax would have to be replaced in 3 months. I would appreciate any suggestions as to what I should replace it (or any other media) with. Thanks!

Haha !!! Sales pitch if I ever heard one. ( although it does say it somewhere ). But no you don't need to replace it. A lot will debate the use of carbon as it's only good for about 30 days however, it will accumulate some BB.

Haha !!! Sales pitch if I ever heard one. ( although it does say it somewhere ). But no you don't need to replace it. A lot will debate the use of carbon as it's only good for about 30 days however, it will accumulate some BB.

So there are 4 bags of carbon - 2 in each tray - and BioMax and Biofoam in the 3rd and 4th trays respectively. Should I replace the carbon bags with more BioMax or stay with carbon and replace it periodically and, if so, how often?

Swap out the carbon for some purigen. You won't regret it.

So there are 4 bags of carbon - 2 in each tray - and BioMax and Biofoam in the 3rd and 4th trays respectively. Should I replace the carbon bags with more BioMax or stay with carbon and replace it periodically and, if so, how often?

I would double up on the biomax.

I'd swap out the carbon after the first few weeks for some kind of fine mesh or filter floss to catch crap that gets through the sponge..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would lose the carbon all together. Only use it to clear out meds. Also, I use pillow stuffing*** from a craft store instead of aquarium grade filter floss. It's a bit cheaper that way.

***** when using pillow stuffing *****
***** DO NOT USE ANY THAT HAS BEEN TREATED WITH FIRE RETARDANT CHEMICALS ******

There's no need to replace it until it's totally broken down to nothing. The pores may become clogged at times so a good violent shaking in dirty aquarium water will help clean it out. I've never used Purigen but understand it's a great product and when it appears as though it's "lost it's steam", can be removed and recharged and placed back into the filter.

I run a Fluval 205 and 406 and believe it's a smart move to have a spare o-ring gasket as they do wear from time to time. ( but stick it in a pot of boiling water for a couple minutes and good as new ??)

There is also a Marineland cut-to-fit filter pad material you can buy in about an 18 x 12" sheet. It's blue on one side and white on the other. Cost about $8 and will make pads for your filter for years as it holds up to being rinsed and reused many times. OS.

Thank you all for the suggestions, that helps a lot!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

There is also a Marineland cut-to-fit filter pad material you can buy in about an 18 x 12" sheet. It's blue on one side and white on the other. Cost about $8 and will make pads for your filter for years as it holds up to being rinsed and reused many times. OS.

Something I was not aware of. Good to know and thanks for sharing OS.

Something I was not aware of. Good to know and thanks for sharing OS.

I use this product in all my filters, it works very well, it actually seems to work better with prolonged use..

I use this product in all my filters, it works very well, it actually seems to work better with prolonged use..

Okay verdict is in !!! Heard it from two trusted sources so it's on my list to add for anyone needing opinions about media.

I'd leave the Carbon in until it's exhausted. I'd then use the media OS suggested and in the top tray, I'd fill the tray with filter floss(pillow stuffing) and then put the Purigen on top of that......

+1 w/ Ian on the pillow stuffing. Really works well with the cut-to fit. Just go lightly on it. I put too much in first time I used it. LOL Turned my flow rate from a Fluval 206 to an Aqueon 10. After I took out about 2/3 of what I put in, it worked great! OS.

I think I'm gonna go with Purigen, but which form of it should I get? The 5" x 10" bag seems too big to fit in the 406's media basket.

I think I'm gonna go with Purigen, but which form of it should I get? The 5" x 10" bag seems too big to fit in the 406's media basket.
Are you sure it won't fit. I don't have or ever had a 406 but I'm sure it should easily fit. I have a Tetratec EX700, roughly the same size as the 406 and I can easily fit two 100ml bags. If it doesn't fit, which I would be surprised by, you can buy it loose and bag it yourself with their own 'The Bag'(expensive) or buy fine mesh bags online to store it in. Many people here have both the 406 and the DIY bags, so I'm sure they could give you info on them and where to get them.....

I don't think it would fit myself. The usable portion of the canister is 7w x 5d x 12h but you lose about 3" of space from the vertical sponges and the trays line up in the 5" width. I would go loose with DIY bags as Ian pointed out. Most craft shops have those little bags much cheaper than an LFS or chain store.

I like to buy the large size of Purigen and make my own bags. Grab a pair of stockings with no perfume/lotion and make your own bag to fit the Purigen.

I like to buy the large size of Purigen and make my own bags. Grab a pair of stockings with no perfume/lotion and make your own bag to fit the Purigen.

+1 brewing supply stores sell fine mesh bags. I made about 10 purigen bags from a single container.

Back
Top Bottom