Filter media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

koeppen

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey so I have a rena xp3 running on my 56 gallon tank and was wondering what media would be the best. What I have in it now are. Tray 1. 2-20ppi pads, 2-30ppi pads. Tray 2. Ammocarb. Tray 3. Bio stars and 2-polishing pads.

Poly fill is cheaper then the polishing pads. But I like your setup. If it ain't broke why fix it right?

So compared to activated charcoal how does it stack up.

It lasts much longer than carbon. 6-12 months depending on the bioload and size of your tank. Plus it is recharged easily, 3 times I believe. I bag of purigen can easily last you 2+ years.

Purigen is marketed as an "organic scavaging compound" it is more selective and the pores in the purigen beads are smaller than the pores in activated carbon. Purigen doesn't remove heavy metals (ferts, minerals), but binds to soluble & insoluble nitrogenous organic waste. Just like you do water changes to remove more than just nitrates, purigen helps to remove those impurities.

I think purigen is worth every penny, and I don't spend very much (compared to others) on my hobby (obsession).

Back
Top Bottom