filter options, your opinion?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phoenixphire55

Aquarium Advice Freak
So my 25 gallon tropical tank has an aquaclear for 20 gallon tanks, and a Hydor prime 10 canister filter. However, ever since I got the canister filter I have thought it wasn't that great. The intake is really slow and and the output just dribbles out of it. It apparently works because the filter media is always pretty dirty, however I'm noticing a lot of floating particles and stuff. My question is whether or not it'd be a good idea to remove and sell the canister filter, and replace it with another aquaclear for 20 gallon tanks. Then I'd have 40 gallons worth of aquaclear filtration, but no canister filter. Hmmmmm. I know aquaclears work really well.

Personally I'm a canister guy. No HOB filters on my tanks, mainly because I don't like the noise or having to have the tanks so far from the walls. I run a Rena Filstar XP3 on my 29G and have been very pleased.

That said, I've seen great things about the Aquaclears...

Never go by the ratings on packages. An Aquaclear 20(which the package states is for 20 gallon aquariums) will barely filter a 10g tank sufficiently. I run an AC30 on my 10g tank, and that is only because it is a fairly heavily planted tank. My 20g(tall) tank is filtered by an AC50, but I also have a Maxijett 600 in there to assist the filter in circulating water through the tank. I have a 29g tank with an AC70 on it, but I am adding a Rena XP1 and the AC70 will merely be a back up filter.

some people say not to get smaller than a XP2 ever, I have never had either so ?

So it sounds like I should keep the canister? Buying a new filter isn't something I'm considering, I'm just not impressed at all with my canister. But yeah, my tank is 25 gallons....I'm not buying another filter for it. If my fish don't like it they can get jobs and pay for a new one.

Actually maybe I should sell my current filter and then buy a new/better canister filter. What would be a good canister for a 25 gallon tank without spending a ton of money? I'm willing to pay like $50-$75 I guesssss, but that seems so excessive for 25 gallons.

Actually maybe I should sell my current filter and then buy a new/better canister filter. What would be a good canister for a 25 gallon tank without spending a ton of money? I'm willing to pay like $50-$75 I guesssss, but that seems so excessive for 25 gallons.

I paid 30 bucks for the Aquaclear 70 Hang on back that i have on my 29g tank, and I paid 50 dollars ship(used) for my Rena XP1 that's in the mail.

Personally I'm a canister guy. No HOB filters on my tanks, mainly because I don't like the noise or having to have the tanks so far from the walls. I run a Rena Filstar XP3 on my 29G and have been very pleased.

That said, I've seen great things about the Aquaclears...

Interesting comment. Next tank for me will likely be a 38. So the Rena canisters, are they like bedroom quiet? Mind you I leave the computer running 24/7 so a little white noise is no bother. What do you think (sorry to steal into this thread, but hey... )

Interesting comment. Next tank for me will likely be a 38. So the Rena canisters, are they like bedroom quiet? Mind you I leave the computer running 24/7 so a little white noise is no bother. What do you think (sorry to steal into this thread, but hey... )

In my bedroom 29 gal, I setup a Marineland canister in the basement to filter the tank. The only thing I hear is the heater click on and off.... :)

In my bedroom 29 gal, I setup a Marineland canister in the basement to filter the tank. The only thing I hear is the heater click on and off.... :)

I wish that were an option. Houses are build on concrete slabs out here in Cali. Might be able to go through one wall though. I would just prefer not to do too much fancy plumbing.

if its in my room i wouldnt get a hob. my rena xp is aboue 2-3 feet from my head at night never had any problems with the sound. canisters are nice but can be pricey. the rena filters have almost doubled in price. right now if it was in my room i would get a canister and a marineland c series canister.

every filter is over rated.....i tend to cut what they say in half or more.

Back
Top Bottom