Filter performance - unsure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nmikmik

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,
more and more questions...
I have recently cycled my tank and now have whole five inhabitants :)
Noticed this morning that my usually somewhat noisy filter started producing spurts of air bubbles instead of the "regular" constant stream. I was going to add the air pump eventually, but now it seems like more of a necessity.
Should I be concerned with filter dying on me that soon? Should I try cleaning it? I am afraid to touch it with anything not to kill the bacteria I was cultivating for so long :rolleyes:
Thanks for any help you may provide!

Air pumps are rarely necessary.

If this is a canister filter, it could just be air trapped in the filter. There are many other possibilities also, depending on the filter type.

I had the same issue some time ago. The reason was that I added an airstone to close to the intake of the filter. So the filter was getting air until the point that started to make weird noises. The solution was to relocate the airstone, and I purged the filter, not cleaning, just a purge and went back to normal.
So another possibility could be that one of your pipe connections is not seal and the filter is getting air.

yea, I have no idea what kind of filter is it, it came with the wall aquarium, will pull it out and look for the name later. I recently was in fact moving it around, for reason that escapes me rite now ;)

Thanks for your help!

Back
Top Bottom