Filter problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

35galhextank

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So the last few days in a row know I've noticed my filter has been turning off it's plugged in so I wiggle the intake tube and it. Turns back on and runs. Then I got about my business and come back same thing. We'll i cMe home from work tonight same problem so I took the filter all apart cleaned it. Took the pump apart and Soaked it in some white vinegar to clean the moving parts off put it back together it seemed like it was pumping better but time will tell if it turns off again. Do you think the motor might be burning out? should I just go out And get a new one? should it be on a timer as we'll and not be ran 24/7??

What brand and model of filter is it? And how long have you had it for?

The fact that wiggling the intake tube makes the filter run again sounds a bit strange to me... Is the hose firmly attached to the filter or are there any kinks or leaks in the hose?

No it's a solid plastic filter with the obvious bend into the filter it's self. Brand name. Beats. Me I bought the tank from a lady on Craig's list about 3 weeks ago and to be honest everything was. Pretty dirty but the price I got the tank for I couldn't pass it up ($100 35 gal hex with stand lights heater air stones ect.) But it ran fine for a week .5 or so then this started happening. I for got to mention on my post that when I dumped the pump out I did notice a small grains of my black sand in it. Maybe I didn't let my tank settle enough before I turned it on and it finally got to it .

sand can burn out a motor, so that might be your problem. Also, certain parts can eventually wear out on a filter. Is it a HOB or a canister filter? Many times the brand name is on the outside of the filter.

You did the right thing by cleaning it good. One place to clean about every other time is the impellor cavity. It gets built up with gunk at the very bottom. I use a small thin artist's paintbrush to get down into the hole. I am assuming it has a way to lift out the impellor. Most HOB's and cans do. OS.

I would say it was build up in the impeller housing. If it is running right after a good cleaning than it should be fine. The impeller may need replacing if it was used for a long time. Easy to replace. Just do a web search for the brand. Check out some filters online to find out what yours is. You can even buy replacement motors if the filter is a nice one and you want to keep it.

My fluval U3 sometimes does this, i took the impellar out and gave it a good clean and it seems to have helped.

Back
Top Bottom