Filter upgrade?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aneata

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a standard 20 gallon tank. Been running for 15 years. My mom gave it to me and I have been looking to upgrade to around a 40 gallon soon. Coincidentally my filter died due to a power outage I think. Anyways the filter I have is the basic one it came with for a 20 gallon.

I bought fluval C3 which is good for 20-50gallons but the setup is a lot different than the small one I have now so putting old filter media in it will be difficult.

Am I going to put the tank through a mini cycle if I just start the filter up with all new media? Or should I try an force some old stuff into the filter?

Any other suggestions?

If the new filter is larger than the old filter, then it seems like placing the old media should be easy. Do you have enough room to have both the old and the new media placed until the new stuff grows its own BB?

Ya I was looking at the box when I said it wouldn't fit. Once I opened it up at home I was able to put some of the old stuff in there too :)

Back
Top Bottom