filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

isiah1820

Aquarium Advice Freak
I had my 29g cichlid tank for little over a month now and I need some info about when and how to go about changing my filter, last water change I did the filter looked very just like it needed a new one had green all over it but if any one can help me I appreciate it.

At every water change you should pull it out and rinse it in a bucket of old tank water after a pwc. When it gets to the point it won't unclog you need to replace it or if it starts to fall apart ( the falling apart is usually what happens). If its green it is probably full of algae and you need to move your light away from it.

Last edited:
Andrew McFadden said:
At every water change you should pull it out and rinse it in a bucket of old tank water. When it gets to the point it won't unclog you need to replace it or if it starts to fall apart ( the falling apart is usually what happens). If its green it is probably full of algae and you need to move your light away from it.

Most filter cartridges will last a lot longer than the recommendation on the box. Like andy said, make sure to rinse in tank water so you don't kill off any good bacteria that maybe living in the filter itself.

Back
Top Bottom