filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

isiah1820

Aquarium Advice Freak
I wanted to start this thread to talk about all the poop troops I'm seeing in my tank its a 55 with an aqueon 20, aqueon 30, and a fluval aquaclear 50 the first 2 I named came off smaller tanks wen I upgraded. So the question is should I be seeing so much poop. I over do the WC b/c I try to get every Peice of poo I see lol so any input is appreciated

Forgot about the old marineland penguin 330 I got with the 55 its pretty old. Also have one powehead think I need another for the back half of the tank hate wen poop settles in one spot.

Your fish are going to defecate at any point they are going to see fit, based on size of feedings, types of foods, possibly even tank conditions. Try not to overdo water changes, as excessive water changes will cause an upset in the concentration of beneficial bacteria, leading to ammonia and nitrIte spikes, and we all know what that leads to.

I would suggest if you want good filtration that you get one, maybe two, large filters. If you only want one, get a powerful canister filter, 55 gallon tanks are a good size tank to get a canister. If you want two, get a few powerful HOBs.

Hope I helped!

What do u think about the filters I listed, and I know there going to defecate I jus hate wen I see a lot settled in one spot. I feed twice a day for no longer than a minute and half. Maybe ill look into a stronger filter

When you say over do you WC what do you mean? I do two 25% WC's a week sometimes one big on say 50% and then the next would be 25%.

So by over doing it are you saying massive WC's everyday?

If not I don't see anything wrong with more BUT smaller changes. I'm now to the point I leave everything running and stop just short of the intakes on my filters. If bigger changes are needed of course then I shut them down.

Now... If your always performing gravel vacs then I'd be concerned you may stir up debris and cause your parameters to change. But small WC's I foresee any issues with bringing in fresh clean water.

Just my 2 cents.

Also if it were me I'd go with the now Fluval 110 HOB on your 55g maybe even one 110 and one 70. That would be plenty. I run two 110's on my 75 gallon heavily stocked African Cichlid tank.

Wen I say over do it I mean wen I'm doing wc I normally do 50% a week but ill notice I missed some poop then there goes another bucket idk its jus ocd lol.

I've always tried to adjust the underwater current with powerheads in my bigger tanks to flush feces out from behind decor and rockwork so it settles in a certain spot for easy clean up.

Back
Top Bottom