Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mattyfelts

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys, I have an AC 300 and don't have the ceramics part of the filter ( sponge , carbon , no ceramic is what I have ) could this be causing my slightly cloudy water?

You are probably going through a minicycle (shown by cloudy water) and although adding the ceramic media may not help immediately, it is well worth getting. You will probably find it under "aquaclear 70 biomax" because the aquaclear 300 was renamed to 70.

What are your water parameters?
What is your filter maintenance schedule (and do you rinse the media in tapwater or tank water)?
What is your water change schedule and is the cloudy water green?

You are probably going through a minicycle (shown by cloudy water) and although adding the ceramic media may not help immediately, it is well worth getting. You will probably find it under "aquaclear 70 biomax" because the aquaclear 300 was renamed to 70. What are your water parameters? What is your filter maintenance schedule (and do you rinse the media in tapwater or tank water)? What is your water change schedule and is the cloudy water green?
I will probably buy the ceramic it's only 6 dollars. I don't exactly know the parameters, I usually rinse things out once a month with tap water ( not the sponge ) however I did rinse the sponge with tap water (like an idiot) about 4-6 weeks ago. I change water weekly about 20-40% and the water is not greenly cloudy.

image-1650325908.jpg

It's just a little better than in the photo right now ( photo was taken a week ago)

I will probably buy the ceramic it's only 6 dollars. I don't exactly know the parameters, I usually rinse things out once a month with tap water ( not the sponge ) however I did rinse the sponge with tap water (like an idiot) about 4-6 weeks ago. I change water weekly about 20-40% and the water is not greenly cloudy.

It's just a little better than in the photo right now ( photo was taken a week ago)

There's obviously water issues because the snails came to the top of the water

I'd keep up the 40% pwc until the cloudiness is gone, but you need a test kit ASAP. Having rinsed the filter media out in tap water you have most likely wiped out the majority of your bb so ammonia is probably spiking. What are your fish like?

I'd keep up the 40% pwc until the cloudiness is gone, but you need a test kit ASAP. Having rinsed the filter media out in tap water you have most likely wiped out the majority of your bb so ammonia is probably spiking. What are your fish like?
they are all normal just swimming and eating and such. Nothing abnormal and they have fry which r fine ( platy and a dwarf gourami) and for sure ill get a testkit ASAP. The snails at the top or only like 5 /40 tho if that names a difference. They kinda just go there and back down

It could be a bacterial bloom which will go away in its own time the bacteria you had left probably went into overdrive to cope with the waste from your fish

It could be a bacterial bloom which will go away in its own time the bacteria you had left probably went into overdrive to cope with the waste from your fish
that's what I was thinking. Cause all the fish are like fine it's just foggy. I'll go to petsmart and stock up on some stuff soon

Back
Top Bottom