Filtered water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sk3lly

Aquarium Advice Addict
This may be completely stupid but can you use water that has been filtered such as brita filtered water in your tank? Or spring bottled water? I know not cost effective but was curious? Would this affect plant growth as i have a planted tank. I ask this because i have what looks like small floating particles in my water. I think these are linked to the very hard water in my area

I'd test the water from any type of filter you use on a faucet before using it in my tank. You'd want to test for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph, gh, kh, and phosphates. Same with bottled water.

Actually I have an RO unit and when I talked to the rep a long time ago he suggested a pre-filter for the unit incase I lived in an area that had high particle levels in the tap water. So you could be right about your water. BUT those small particles might also just be from your tank if your filter isn't picking them up OR doesn't have media in it that can filter them out. I use 100% filter floss in my filters because the dirtier it gets the finer the particles it can pick up. It's very cheap and you can get it at Walmart, Target, or any craft store quite cheap for a large bag. It also lasts a long time.

I'd test the water from any type of filter you use on a faucet before using it in my tank. You'd want to test for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph, gh, kh, and phosphates. Same with bottled water. Actually I have an RO unit and when I talked to the rep a long time ago he suggested a pre-filter for the unit incase I lived in an area that had high particle levels in the tap water. So you could be right about your water. BUT those small particles might also just be from your tank if your filter isn't picking them up OR doesn't have media in it that can filter them out. I use 100% filter floss in my filters because the dirtier it gets the finer the particles it can pick up. It's very cheap and you can get it at Walmart, Target, or any craft store quite cheap for a large bag. It also lasts a long time.
I have a fluval u2 filter. I currently use the large sponge supplied but ive added a thin layer of floss after it. Shall i ditch the sponge and go full floss??

I have a fluval u2 filter. I currently use the large sponge supplied but ive added a thin layer of floss after it. Shall i ditch the sponge and go full floss??

I would try it but really pack it in there. I actually wet the floss and hold it under water while packing it in my filter baskets. Or you can get some polishing pads and cut them to fit in there.

I would try it but really pack it in there. I actually wet the floss and hold it under water while packing it in my filter baskets. Or you can get some polishing pads and cut them to fit in there.
Polishing pads?? Not heard of these before. What would they do? I appreciate the advice :) i would like crystal clear water

@River- what loft filler pad are you using? I'm headed to Walmart and I've seen poly-fil from med- extra loft.

Back
Top Bottom