Filterless 55 gallon tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ches

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone, I'm new to this site but I've been keeping fish for 8 months now. I set up a new 55 gallon tank last week and decided to attempt to go filterless. 92 watts of light at 15,100 K. (what does the "K" stand for?) 10 hours a day. Heater. No filter, powerhead, co2 or anything else. Florabase substrate mixed with gravel. I keep the lid at all times so CO2 doesn't escape at night.

Obviously it's fully planted with tons of plants. I read that if I keep a low # of fish, plants will take care of everything else? So far, the water parameters are fine no ammonia, nitrites, nitrates. pH is 6.2. I have 5 kuhli loaches and 5 neon tetras in the tank and they are happy. How many more fish could I add in this setup?

Is there anything I should be worried about? Thanks for your help!:lol:

IMO just keeping the plants healthy so they can take care of the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate

K stand for Kelvin. The lighting is a little low, what kind of plants do you have? Also, i'm not positive that 15,100K lighting is a good light wavelength for plants, but i could be wrong, never heard of someone using it in a planted tank. Also, keeping a lid on the tank won't stop co2 from escaping, because if that were true, your fish would've died from lack of oxygen. What type of lighting fixture are you using? I would continue to test your water every day, and if you see no rise in any of the parameters in a week, i'd say you're good to go. Be sure to feed sparingly, and to tend to your plants leaving no rotting leaves as that will add ammonia.

Thanks shadowstars123! Sorry I forgot to add that I have 2 lighting fixtures. One's just a regular shop light but has 2 aquarium bulbs (32 watts each, one at 5000 k, one at 3400 k) and the other unit is a Coralife light bar which is at 6700 K, 28watts, for a total of what I listed up there.

I have: Java moss, java fern, anubias, vals, bacopa, ludwigia, water wisteria and water sprite.

I'm having doubts about the ludwigia though...hmm

Ohhh, never add up the degrees Kelvin, it's the temperature of the light, just a heads up. You should replace the 3400k with a 6700k or a 10,000k, i'm not sure about the 5000k though. If you have a budget, invest in a better lighting system if possible to maybe a medium light tank, this will encourage nutrient absorption meaning more filtration. But like I said, check your water parameters first, if they're fine, there's no reason to spend more money.

Ok I'll take that into consideration. Thanks

I do think it can be done, but if I did it I'd...

No substrate for easier cleaning.
Floating plants only.
Oxygen, oxygen, oxygen.
Pick fish very carefully.
Seed bacteria from an established tank even if I remove the seeding item later.

It definitely can be done, it will just have way less room for error. Is this called a Berlin tank?

Actually, keep an eye on your loaches. They're really sensitive and since there's many chances of things going bad, they're not really a good choice, but I don't have experience with kuhli , just clowns

Back
Top Bottom