Filters and lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

timeaway

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello!

I've been a hobbyist for years but out of the loop for a while. I am setting up my 55g freshwater once again. Never liked the undergravel filters however I'm concerned about the biological cycle being maintined through HOB and canister filters when you change the filter media.

Any thoughts on this?

Also, does anyone carry any hoods other than the standard plastic perfecto type? Are open top tanks the popular thing now with lights just suspended above?

LED or flourescent??

Looking forward to some opinions out there!

Thanks for your time!:)

Hi Time,
Like you, I was out of the hobby for about 8 years from 1995 to 2004. When I got back in I was amazed at how much technology had improved. Also SO lucky to find this forum to help me catch up. Welcome to one of the best sites with the best people.
U gravel filters are about extinct. The HOB's and cannisters are so much easier to maintain and are more efficient. They allow a myriad of options on filter medias also. The BB nitrogen oxidation is more effiecient due to better water flow and media surface area.
As far as tops go, many people have gone topless but if you have jumpers or just like a top for the various reasons, the hinged glass tops are great and fairly cheap. Look at versa-tops. For lights there are many choices in flourescents and LED's that go from reasonally priced to high dollar "gee-whiz" models. A BIG factor on lights is whether you want to grow plants also or not.
If you find something that interests you, just post an inquiry in here. Someone will definitely chime in. Good luck & welcome to AA. OS.

Hi and welcome! I would go with a canister. I have an Eheim 2215 on my 40 gal, so a 2217 on a 55 might be good. I've never changed the media in my filter outright; once a month I clean it out in old tank water. I've only completely changed the top filter floss pad once a month or so. Never had an issue with losing bacteria.

For the lid, I have a glass top. The Versa top ones are pretty good.

For lighting, it will largely depend on whether you want to have live plants. Otherwise it's personal preference. For plants I would go with florescent over LED.

Your 55 G

Hello!

I've been a hobbyist for years but out of the loop for a while. I am setting up my 55g freshwater once again. Never liked the undergravel filters however I'm concerned about the biological cycle being maintined through HOB and canister filters when you change the filter media.

Any thoughts on this?

Also, does anyone carry any hoods other than the standard plastic perfecto type? Are open top tanks the popular thing now with lights just suspended above?

LED or flourescent??

Looking forward to some opinions out there!

Thanks for your time!:)

Hello time...

The under gravel filters are outdated. Now, there are several better alternatives to the UGF system. I keep my 55 G tanks pretty simple and use HOBs only. Hagen Aquaclear is my choice. A couple of AC50s on opposite sides of the tank works well. I like a glass canopy over the tank, but some of mine have tall plants in them, so they're open too.

I use florescents on some of my 55s. A couple of 48 inch T8s or T12s works for plants that need only subdued lighting. Those you can get at the local hardware store. GE has a good lamp. I also use Solarmax T5 lighting for the more demanding plants.

I think LED lighting is way overrated. I don't see the benefit if you keep the standard aquarium plants.

Welcome back!

B

I would agree with BBradbury on the filtration. I like AC filters because of their efficiency and ease of cleaning. Cannisters are too much trouble by comparison. Nothing wrong with the way they work, but you don't even have to turn of an AC to clean it.
There are loads of plants that will grow nicely under t8 shoplights with 5000K or 6500K tubes, or one of each. LEDS are the future of lighting and they are out there for plants but still expensive.

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet-

Although the filter manufacturers encourage you to replace the filter media every month or every several months, you dont have to.

Rinse the media gently in tank water to get rid of excess sludge caused by the heterotrophic bacteria that competes with the good bacteria, and also impedes flow, and you won't lose all that good bacteria by replacing the media.

Some say rinse monthly, some say weekly, some say "not when you are also doing a water change" although I'm not sure why :)

Indeed, filter elements, especially those in the AC filters last for many years. I will have to differ with Masha on a small point, although what he says is correct. The filter elements, more specifically the reticulated foam in the AC filters, require more than gentle rinsing. A gentle rinse will remove very little, and that will be from the surface. AC sponges require vigorous squeezing to remove all the gunk. It usually takes 4 or 5 changes of water to get them clean. Fortunately, the nitrifying bacteria is firmly attached and does not come off easily.
The ideal time to clean the filter is during a water change so you can use the water being removed to clean the filter. Cleaning the filter with every water change is easy to do with AC filters and prevents a heavy build up in the sponge. Getting that gunk out before it breaks down will result in lower nitrate numbers as well as a more efficient filter.

A gentle rinse will remove very little, and that will be from the surface. AC sponges require vigorous squeezing to remove all the gunk. It usually takes 4 or 5 changes of water to get them clean. Fortunately, the nitrifying bacteria is firmly attached and does not come off easily.
Oh good. I've been wondering how thoroughly I can clean them.
This also counts for vacuuming gravel, I believe. Water flow from syphon wont detach BB?

The ideal time to clean the filter is during a water change so you can use the water being removed to clean the filter. Cleaning the filter with every water change is easy to do with AC filters and prevents a heavy build up in the sponge. Getting that gunk out before it breaks down will result in lower nitrate numbers as well as a more efficient filter.

That's what I always do myself, but I've seen people say "never clean filter and pwc" as though it's self evident. Which knocks my.confidence

Hobs are good but canisters are superior filtration in almost all cases. I'm a strictly canister guy not only because of the filtration but also because of the fact that it hides all of the clutter that a hob would show. The new fluval line of canisters now has made maintaining the filter a breeze. As to lighting dual t-5 ho s are what I run on my display tank because not only are the cost efficient but I have been able to grow any plant I would like and even maintain red plants. I also use co2, liquid ferts, and root tabs which I would highly recommend you do if you have plants. Glad you came back to the hobby!:)

Back
Top Bottom