FILTERS OFF to FEED ???????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SKEET

Aquarium Advice Regular
Does anyone turn off there filters or any thing that causes current and surface agitation when feeding ???

I get so many large pieces of food (flakes and brine shrimp) on the first filter screen in the RENA filter.

The food also immediatly scatters in the tank from top to bottom but all the fish eat mostly at the surface.

Any problems with doing this???

I used to turn mine off all the time for feeding. I just had it on a switched power strip separate from the light and clicked it off for a few minutes during and after feeding time. Just dont forget to turn it back on!

i have never turned the filter off, but i like it spreading the food around so everyone gets their fair share. but thats just me. if it all sits in one place, hell breaks loose and they beat each other up. so even when its spread they still fight but its not half aas bad as if its all in one general area. thats just my opinion.
i guess it really depends on fish and size of tank and what not.
but i guess it couldnt hurt. or you could put it on the opposite side of the filter where there is no current.

My food explodes all over the tank. I have two spraybars on one end (1 for surface agitation 1 straight down) and at the other end is a spray nozzle at the surface coming from the UV sterilizer. So I have a pretty good current.

Just didn't want to cause problems for the fish.

How long is it safe to have off???

Long enogh to feed is no problem. Just got to remember you may need to re-prime if for some reason there's some air in the system and it loses it's syphon. 3-5 minutes is absolutely no problem.

I never turn it off, whenever the food starts sinking I figure the fish will get it if they want to eat if not hopefully the filter will suck it up lol

The only reason I turned off my magnum 350 is that it ended up with most of the brine shrimp or bloodworms in the intake filter like Skeet is saying. Spreading is good, but it's kind of a waste of food to see it go straight to the filter.

wouldn't brine shrimp and blood worms in the filter pollute the water.. Even in the filter? Especially once they start to rot?

SKEET said:
Does anyone turn off there filters or any thing that causes current and surface agitation when feeding ???

The food also immediatly scatters in the tank from top to bottom but all the fish eat mostly at the surface.

Any problems with doing this???

I had the same thoughts with my new setup. But I noticed that if the food fell to the bottom, the neons would still eat it. It doesn't seem to matter to my corys, they scour the bottom CONSTANTLY for food. They only stop when they're playing in the airstone bubbles.

Back
Top Bottom