Filters, Tank Size, and Tank placement?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brandon K.A

Aquarium Advice Freak
Say I were to buy an empty 10 gallon tank, or even a 20. I have a 5 gallon tank currently, yes, I know, it sucks, but I was wondering, if I could buy a cheap empty 10 or 20 gallon tank, could I use the filter system for that 5 gallon for the 10 or 20 gallon tank? Or do I have to buy it separately? Is it cheaper to buy tanks as a bundle like a Wal-mart bundle? which is super expensive, or is it cheaper to buy what you need individually? Also, where do you put your tanks? I have one 5 gallon tank on my desk, and gonna put my new Fluval Chi 5 Gallon next to it on the desk, but was wondering, could the desk hold the weight? Also, Could a Dresser hold another tank? I had the 5 Gal moved there, but I decided to move my tv, so I moved the tank to the desk. Sorry for the long read, Thanks!:fish2:

As you can tell, I am still new to this hobby!

Walmart sets are basically the bare minimum for the tank size, and end up being a waste of money since you generally have to replace everything. There are a few "clone" canister filters that I've been using, and I feel like I'll never want to get a power (hang on back, hob) filter again. For 10 gallon, there are mini canisters, but a hob is probably the most cost effective. Once you get closer to 20 and above, canisters become better options.

As for the weight, try sitting on the desk/dresser. A 10 gallon weighs around 100 lbs and 20 gallon 200 lbs etc. If it buckles at all, I'd be worried, but generally 10-20 gallon are pretty safe (beware of Ikea :p )

Depends on the kind of filter system if you mean you're upgrading. If you have a lot of plants, they aid significantly in filtration. But! Since your focus is on the money-saving aspect, I'd look on craigslist for a 10-20gal set up. You could probably find one with a filter/light/heater all the fixings you need to upgrade.

As for tank weight, a good rule to go by is that a tank weighs 10lbs for every gallon. This counts the water weight(around 8lbs per gallon) plus the gravel and everything else. So a typical 5 gal is about 50 pounds. Your desk will probably be fine if its built well. I tend to put my tanks wherever I can, haha. My 10gal is on a dresser, my 30gal vivarium sits on an old TV stand(though this tank isn't full of water), my 40gal paludarium is on a table that it fits perfectly on, but for my 55 I made a stand from cinderblocks, 2x4s and plywood. Cheap, easy and sturdy enough to dance on. Very easily disguised too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom