Filthy filter pad.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a snail tank, I once left green beans and broccoli in the tank for three or four days before, no cloudy water.

i have the same filter and im in the same boat as you. ive had the insert in the filter for about two months and it appears clogged. as much as i try to shake it in tank water to remove debris, it still seems clogged. and ya with the Aqueon it really looks like there is nothing in there to hold BB except that little grate that they claim does it. i know i have to replace the insert, its not doing anything, but im worried im gonna crash the tank.

anyone have any advice?

Just got home from school and the water is still cloudy :/ if it's like that tomorrow I guess I'll be changing some water.

So I'm still not having much luck. I purchased an aqua clear filter this morning and got that up and running. I did three 60% water changes throughout the day and my water still looks like this ....

20111021195319522.jpg

This is what it looked like 3 days ago...
imagetmm.jpg

Chino1130 said:
So I'm still not having much luck. I purchased an aqua clear filter this morning and got that up and running. I did three 60% water changes throughout the day and my water still looks like this ....

This is what it looked like 3 days ago...

Very pretty tank even with the cloudiness. Which is not so bad IMO. My tank had a similar amount of cloudiness for a bit. Regular maintenance and patience saw it clear up decently fast. As long as your fish are not in distress, just keep up a modest water change schedule, feed sparingly and you'll be pristine soon enough :)

I know it does suck though having to stare at the haze after you've put in all the work.

my filter seemed to go from new to brown overnight as well. Just like my plants. I assumed it was all due to diatoms and new tank algae/bacterias so i didnt think much of it. I've noticed my water looks hazy when it gets a little low from too much turbulance. When I change the water its also hazy at first but within a day or 2 its beautiful again. I could be wrong but it sounds to me like you are trying to overcorrect an issue that will work itself out with a little patience and basic care..?

my filter seemed to go from new to brown overnight as well. Just like my plants. I assumed it was all due to diatoms and new tank algae/bacterias so i didnt think much of it. I've noticed my water looks hazy when it gets a little low from too much turbulance. When I change the water its also hazy at first but within a day or 2 its beautiful again. I could be wrong but it sounds to me like you are trying to overcorrect an issue that will work itself out with a little patience and basic care..?

Well right now my filter is churning water at full speed, you think I should back it off a bit?

Bacteria and algae blooms dont necessarily mean you've got an unhealthy environment for your fish, it just doesnt look as pretty. If the fish look healthy and water parameters are fine I would definately wait a day or two and see if it gets better.

Chino1130 said:
I have had fish in my new tank for exactly a week now. I did a proper fishless cycle, and up until today I have had no issues. As of last night my water was perfectly clear. When i got home this evening, I noticed the water was slightly cloudy. I added zucchini pieces last night for the first time. I thought that may have had something to do with it, but I doubt it. I decided to check the filter pad despite it being snow white a week ago. It was absolutely filthy. I shook it violently in a bucket of tank water. The water turned a brown color, but hardly anything came out of the pad. I'm concerned about switching out pads and losing bacteria, but I'm pretty certain this pad is a lost cause. I've never seen a pad this dirty, especially after a week. I have an Aqueon filter, it has trays in the filter that they claim are there for housing bacteria colonies. I don't want to leave an ineffective filter in there, but at the same time I don't want to go into one of these mini cycles I keep reading about.

Here's a pic of the filter:

It's because u have a new tank. The filterpad is trying to absorb all the nasties and other stuff that needs to be filtered out. You should realy change it once a month but it's not common to change it once a week wen starting out. The cloudiness is from a micro bacteria bloom, I forgot wat kind exactly. So ur tank is fine just get a new cartrage

Matt68005 said:
guys, that is GOOD bacteria, lol, if you remove it your tank is going to crash. it is suppose to look like that, in fact if it dosent look like that something is wrong.

Ya they eat dead plant matter

It's because u have a new tank. The filterpad is trying to absorb all the nasties and other stuff that needs to be filtered out. You should realy change it once a month but it's not common to change it once a week wen starting out. The cloudiness is from a micro bacteria bloom, I forgot wat kind exactly. So ur tank is fine just get a new cartrage

Now this is where get confused. Some people tell me not to change the pads, some tell the opposite :confused:

Sorry but i think a new cartridge is the LAST thing you would want to do. Unfortunately when the companies promote changing them periodically, they are liars trying to sell a product. Filter cartridges should last a VERY long time and should only be replaced if they are so old they're falling apart or have been contaminated somehow. Changing the cartridge means u are throwing away most of your beneficial bacteria and your fish will have way bigger problems than a little cloudy water, which in this case is probably a temporary issue that isnt harmful at all.

Chino1130 said:
Now this is where get confused. Some people tell me not to change the pads, some tell the opposite :confused:

Well maybe not now, once the tank is fully cycled and everything checks out, yes once a month. But for u I would change it cas it has eww on it

McLean said:
Sorry but i think a new cartridge is the LAST thing you would want to do. Unfortunately when the companies promote changing them periodically, they are liars trying to sell a product. Filter cartridges should last a VERY long time and should only be replaced if they are so old they're falling apart or have been contaminated somehow. Changing the cartridge means u are throwing away most of your beneficial bacteria and your fish will have way bigger problems than a little cloudy water, which in this case is probably a temporary issue that isnt harmful at all.

No if u has a balanced tank like I did. But realy I'm just suggesting. I don't even change the cartrage in my tank for 3 months. But his cartrage is filthier then any of mine ever wer

If you replace your filter media with brand spankin' new media, you no longer have a balanced tank. The most important function of filter media is to provide a living space for denitrifying bacteria. While it also traps debris, that p0art is really secondary and is managed just by rinsing the cartridge in dechlorinated water (or the old tank water) when u do a pwc.

+1 with McLean

-The majority of your nitrifying bacteria is in your filter media
-Replacing the filter media throws that beneficial bacteria into the trash can
-A major loss of bacteria causes an unstable tank / mini-cycle / toxin spikes

The OP had the right info from the beginning. IMO, never replace filter media until it is no longer viable (falling apart), and it's also a good idea to seed a new one by placing it up against the old for as long as possible before removing.

I still think changing my filter was necessary though, it was restricting serious water flow, even after violent shaking in a water bucket. I didn't just get a new pad yesterday, I got a whole new filtration system (an aqua clear 30 gallon one). So I took filter media out of a tank that's been established for a year and a half now, and I put it between the first and second stages of the new filter system. I also took the pieces out of the old filter system that were suppose to house bacteria, and placed them in different corners of the tank. I thout they might help as seeder material like when starting a new tank.

20111021132159813.jpg

Macclean is right....for me its just a marketing ploy by these filter companies. I thoroughly rinse pads in my water drained from the tank, to get rid of all the gunk etc. Once that is done, its ready to go. I do have spare filter pads on hand at home but will only change it when it really looks worse for wear and I wont let it get to that level anyway.

Also clean your impeller, you will be surprised how much gunk collects in there as well.

McLean said:
If you replace your filter media with brand spankin' new media, you no longer have a balanced tank. The most important function of filter media is to provide a living space for denitrifying bacteria. While it also traps debris, that p0art is really secondary and is managed just by rinsing the cartridge in dechlorinated water (or the old tank water) when u do a pwc.

A balanced tank doesnt require a filter u don't know wat u talking about for balanced aquariums

Back
Top Bottom