Filtration for 5-6 foot malawai tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kirky88

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I at some stage in the near future will be buying either a 5 or 6 foot tank for African cichlids more than likely mbuna, from what I have read its very important to over filter. I've been looking at the fluval range specifically the 406 and the fx5. Here in Australia there is about $100 difference between the 2, so for something around the 80-120 gal mark which would work better 1 fx5 or two 406s

Terrance said:
2 fx5 is a better alternative.

That will work very very well. You do a sump also if you wanted to go that route. A few members here run a sump on there Cichlid tanks and have had great success with them.

Personally I run 1 HOB (AC110) and 1 Fx5 on my 75g mixed African Cichlid tank.

I recommend using 2 of whatever filter u choose and can afford. This can allow u to have an extra filter in the event something happens to one. Plus u can have flow from 2 different sides of the tank. I run xp3 and xp4 on my 125 and have had no problems.

mohican said:
I recommend using 2 of whatever filter u choose and can afford. This can allow u to have an extra filter in the event something happens to one. Plus u can have flow from 2 different sides of the tank. I run xp3 and xp4 on my 125 and have had no problems.

If you have 2 do they have to be the same flow rate?

Back
Top Bottom