Filtration for a 125g tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikeybabs

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello guys,

Next week I am getting a 125g tank delivered.

I was wondering,

Would 2 Aquaclear 110's be enough filtration for a 125g tank?

It will be using sand and possibly be understocked

Thanks

Two AC 110 would only provide roughly 600 GPH. The recommended amount of water turn over is 10 times the total volume of the tank per hour, with the double 110s your only looking at the water completely turning over the full volume of the tank 4-5 times per hour.

I would suggest larger canister filters like the Fluval 405/ FX5 or Rena XP3 or 4. Which would be ran in conjunction with the AC 110s.

That's a big filter, that should turn over the volume about 7.2 times per hour provided that the 900 GPH they boast is accurate, but like you said you are under-stocking so you should be fine.Just keep an eye on your levels and if you think you need more filtration add a larger HOB.

That's a big filter, that should turn over the volume about 7.2 times per hour provided that the 900 GPH they boast is accurate, but like you said you are under-stocking so you should be fine.Just keep an eye on your levels and if you think you need more filtration add a larger HOB.

Those levels advertised are without media, it's around 625gph.

Mogurako said:
I thought 900 seemed high, it's that true with all canisters, you have to take a % of the GPH?

I think part of the reason the flow rate gets slowed down is the pipes/hoses?

I think u can test filters by Seeing how fast they fill up buckets

Back
Top Bottom