Filtration for my 220 gallon tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vanimal

Aquarium Advice Addict
I bought it used and it came with 2 Cascade Canister Filters, 3 AquaClear 110s, a UV sterilizer, a powerhead, an ocean clear canister filter made by red sea, and I have a spare Penguin Bio-Wheel 200. I was thinking maybe I keep the 2 Cascades and one AquaClear and sell the rest. But I'm not familiar with canisters or aqua clears so I need some input. What do you guys think I should go with?????

When I had young koi in the 220g I used 2-FX5 Fluvals and that is all that was needed even for those heavy bio-load fish. When I changed it over to planted with smaller fish I now run 1-FX5 Fluval and 1-406 Fluval with in-line UV Sterlizer. I'm not familar with the ones you have. But I don't run any HOB's on mine.

IMO the only two reasons for a UV sterilizer are for cleaning green water and for water clarity (which is why I have mine). It polishes the water just like a diatom filter would.

Should I keep it and if not how much could i sell it for used??

I don't know if you want it or not but remember you do have to replace those bulbs yearly and you have to clean the outer tube every few months so the UV light can work. As far as selling a used one... I have no idea. You should try finding one the same or similar on ebay so you can get an idea what it might go far.

I would keep the 2 cascades, keep 1 of the 110 and keep the sterilizer too. Sell the rest. U may want to use the sterilizer later if u choose, u already have it. I don't know about quality but as long as things work, try using them for now and upgrade along the way. I feel as tho cascade is low-med grade as for quality, just my thoughts.

What model cascades are they? Depending on the model I would sell all but one and buy an FX5 with the money that you make. Run the FX5 and one Cascade, use the Cascade for most of your bio media and the FX5 for mechanical filtration.

Mudfrog said:
What model cascades are they? Depending on the model I would sell all but one and buy an FX5 with the money that you make. Run the FX5 and one Cascade, use the Cascade for most of your bio media and the FX5 for mechanical filtration.

Idk I'm at school right now so I'll check when I get home.

I'm picking up a 180 tonight. It has overflows but I want the tank silent so I'm using canisters instead of the wet dry. I have an FX5 on the way and I'm going to use my current CF-500UV in the other overflow. I hear the FX5's are a beast so I can't wait for it to come in :D

Eventually I'll pick up a second FX5 to replace the CF-500UV.

Back
Top Bottom