Filtration system change...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thomasina

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am currently running a Penguin 100, and the bio wheel gets stuck or doesn't turn. I ordered an Aquaclear 50, formerly a 200. How and what is the best way to change the filters without loosing the bacteria? Any hints and or advise is greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Just move the media from your old filter into the new filter (along with new media). Then just monitor your water parameters daily for a week or so to make sure there are no toxin spikes. If there are, some extra water changes until things stabilize. :)

If possible run both at the same time. Then later you can remove the penguin. For the bio wheel, try cleaning the U shaped pin holders that support the bio wheel; that might help it spin better.

Or you could try putting the bio wheel in the AC50 above the sponge and next to or below the biomedia (not sure if it will fit). Remove the carbon insert in the AC50; use it only when you need to remove meds, etc.

Let me understand please. Take the filter out (media) replace it with the old one or just run it with out? Will the media even fit? I haven't gotten the AC50 yet, it is coming in the mail, just trying to get things ready. Thank you both for your help!

Let me understand please. Take the filter out (media) replace it with the old one or just run it with out? Will the media even fit? I haven't gotten the AC50 yet, it is coming in the mail, just trying to get things ready. Thank you both for your help!

One crucial thing to remember is keep your media wet so the BB doesn't die.

You could run both filters on the tank for a couple weeks to let the BB seed over to new filter, or you can just take the media out of the penguin and add it in along with the new media in the AC50. Whichever way you prefer. In my 30-60 aqua tech filter I have a total of I think 3 cartridges in it (one from a cycled 10g and two huge ones from LFS I got to when I added new fish to help avoid a mini cycle) and two pieces of floss. Usually room can be made, you can even cut up some of your media to make it fit if you need too.

Back
Top Bottom