Filtration system maintenance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Komodo

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a Fluval 406 filter and a full length overhead filtration system working at the same time.

It’s for a 104 gallon tank with twenty African Cichlids, (Mbuna). I also have four catfish.

The manuals and fish guides say to make some kind of maintenance on the filtration system every month. They also say not to change everything at once. I’m trying to make myself a maintenance schedule but I have a hard time doing this as regard the filtration systems.

If this was your tank, what maintenance would you do concerning the filtration systems?

Most people will use filter elements that don't have to be replaced. So, that would be sponges, and assorted hard substrates for bio media. The sponges are also bio media. Some will also add some fine filter media such as polyester floss or batting. This I would toss when it gets dirty, as it doesn't wash up that well. The other media is washed in old tank water.
The purpose of regular maintenance is to remove solid debris from the filter (this must be considered to be still in the tank) before it can be broken down. As well you don't want this stuff to build up on the bio media. How often this needs to be done will vary from tank to tank. However, staying ahead of it makes the job much easier. Don't allow sponges to get clogged before cleaning. Don't wait until you see a noticeable drop in flow.
The end result of keeping the filter clean is a filter that works more efficiently, biologically, and a slower rise in nitrates. you have to appreciate that there are two types of waste the filter is asked to handle. One is metabolic waste, primarily fish urine. The nitrifying bacteria handle this. The digestive waste, feces and such, and dead matter in the tank too, has to be consumed by heterotrophic bacterai, which convert it to ammonia waste. If that solid stuff is removed before it breaks down, nitrates will rise more slowly.
As to doing all the filter parts at once, it shouldn't be a problem as the nitrifying bacteria are firmly attached to the filter substrate and not easily removed.

Bill has covered it very thoroughly. The only thing I could possibly add would be if using any kind of batting (pillow stuffing) material, ensure that it i's NOTHING fire/flame retardant as it contains chemicals that are toxic to aquarium inhabitants.

On the other side for any set "schedule" of maintenance, this has been a highly prolific topic that gets a lot of scrutiny. I run all Fluval's (205, 306, 406) and sponges on my tanks and only touch the inside of the canisters every six months. I use only the outer course sponge, inner fine sponge, and all trays have biomedia only. No carbon and no filter floss. Depending on the tank dictates the number and frequency of WC's that happen with each. The grow outs are multiple daily WC's after feedings, the mid range juvies are every other day, and the adults are every 2 days. The volume is anywhere from 50-100% of tank volume, again depending on the tank and the day of the week. This is what works for me. And my Discus.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

With that type of filter, you have more than a few options. If you keep the first element clean, the rest may not need much attention. As well, you could exchange the last section material, with more bio media. Most of us don't use carbon in our filters on a regular basis; it isn't necessary, unless you are having issues with discolouration or odour. I would fill that section with more bio media.

Back
Top Bottom