Filtration what kind

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bluzepher1

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have two 55/75 quiet flow filters for my 55gal tank. I have 20 fish in the tank. What do you place I the filter box ? Some say activated charcoal, some day not needed. Wanna do this right. My fish are all very tiny barely an inch. I do have filter floss in there as well.

Thank for your help

IMO carbon in small amounts won't hurt. 100% Polyfill or filter floss is the main media in all my filters along with bio-media.

Fwiw, I'm on the side of those who say carbon is not needed. In fact there is some evidence it does harm if used all the time. It is useful if you have to remove colour, odour or medication from water, otherwise, I would not bother with it.

Do you know about the nitrogen cycle ? I ask because you did not know what bio media meant. Without a cycled filter the ammonia may kill the fish. Just asking.. so many new to fish keeping don't know about it.

Almost all filters of the internal or HOB type can be fitted with some filter sponge cut to fit the space and filter floss. You can buy any sponge meant for a filter, or use a cleaning sponge so long as it is not antifungal or antibacterial and has no soap in it. Sponge is a great bio media, lasts a really long time, and is easy to clean. Floss lasts a surprising length of time. I don't replace it until it is falling apart. Always clean the media in tank water, never tap water, so you don't kill the bacteria living in it that convert the ammonia in fish waste to less dangerous compounds.

If there is room you can also add a mesh bag of ceramic media, or even crushed lava rock. Some use cut up plastic scrubbies as bio media. It's safe so long as it is not labeled as being anti microbial or anti fungal, or says not to use in aquariums, like sponge.

The more biomedia a filter has, the more bacteria it can support, which is a good thing for the fish.

Thank you for the info. I did see the nitrogen cycle article. I have 2 pretty big hob filters plenty of room for bio media and filter floss. I saw purigen to help rid the tank of ammonia. I will add that too.
Thanks. Again

Purigen is great stuff, expensive, but you can recharge it with bleach when it gets used up. Follow the directions and it takes two days to recharge, I think, roughly.

But it is no substitute for a cycled filter. If you are not sure the filters are cycled, get water tests for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate and test to find out what shape the water is in.

Purigen can help if you stock heavily, or have a sudden nitrate problem, but properly cycled filters and water changes should be able to cope with most tanks unless very overstocked.

Purigen is great stuff, expensive, but you can recharge it with bleach when it gets used up. Follow the directions and it takes two days to recharge, I think, roughly.

But it is no substitute for a cycled filter. If you are not sure the filters are cycled, get water tests for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate and test to find out what shape the water is in.

Purigen can help if you stock heavily, or have a sudden nitrate problem, but properly cycled filters and water changes should be able to cope with most tanks unless very overstocked.

Purigen replaces carbon, which CAN'T be recharged, at least not to be fully productive. Carbon isn't worth it IMO, very useful but for only a short period of time.

Back
Top Bottom