filtration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Filtration suggestions for 100 gal tank with a heavy bio load?

There are so may kinds of filters out there it's ridiculous. If it were me and my 100g tank with a heavy load or not. I'd have 2 good filters, never one.
I like to over filter, I have a 20g HOB filter on my 5g tank and a 40g HOB filter on a 10g tank. But anything over 20g get 2 filters.
On my newer 55g tank I have a Magnum H.O.T. HOB Canister filter, it's a good filter but it's for 55g tanks only, more power,lol.
So I bought an Emperor 400 it's a really good filter. It has 2 of everything on one HOB filter.
Inside there are 2 side by side containers to hold charcoal for the first layer of filtering. Then a second layer with a filter pack then there is the Bio wheel.
It's made for an 80g tank. So 2 of them would process 160g.
So on a 100g tank with a heavy load, you'd get three layers of filtration for an extra 60g of water. They are relatively inexpensive, easy to install, quiet except on start up, but as soon as the water flows it's quiet. Easy, easy cleaning or replacing filter cartridges.
There is nothing complex about this filter it's perfect for someone newer to fish keeping. Oh and it does keeps the tank clean.
I know there are OP on AA that know a heck of a lot more than I do about equipment. They may have better suggestions but none easier.
When I set up my newer 55g, I went to www.bigalsonline.com and read the specs. on all their filters and if I was able to understand what they were talking about, I read all the customer reviews. And I stuck to a price range.
Some of the fancier filtration systems cost big bucks and are to complicated to figure out how to run them. You need an Engineering degree to figure out some of them.
There is my opinion, for what it's worth.

Last edited by a moderator:
My opinion- get an FX5 or XP4. The FX5 will outperform the XP 4 though, and costs about the same. Normally I would recommend two filters, but an FX5 is going to give you plenty of filtration, and will be significantly cheaper than running two adequate filters.

Thanks all. I will definitely go canister filter but I wasn't sure one would suffice... glad to know. FX5 it is.

If you have a lot of fish in your 100 gallon aquarium, I would suggest Rena's XP filter. I have 150 gallon with an XP3 and XP4 canisters, -excellent in keeping water clear. I never seem to have luck with the non-canister ones for the 100 gal that I used to have.

Back
Top Bottom