Fin rot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

calfishguy

Aquarium Advice Addict
My 2 and a half inch angel has fin rot and it is not going away. Should I quarantine him. I only have a ten gallon that is not in use would that work.

It would depend on what is causing the fin rot. Is it water conditions or another disease and the fin rot is secondary? You could def QT him to treat him. If the fin rot is not too severe yet you might be able to treat him with just keeping the qt water super clean and adding a little salt. If it's bad you may end up having to use antibiotics. Any way you could provide more info about it and some pictures?

you have not provide enough info, we need to know the water parameter first, that includes temperature, pH, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels. It will also help if you include your water change and feeding schedule.

And yes overfeeding can be one factor.

Angelfish are very sensitive fish.

My ammonia is o nitrite o nitrate 6 ph8.0 I feed two small meals a day. I do a 20% water change once a week but once I add my rainbows I will be doing 20 twice a week. I have also removed a small serpae tetra that was nipping fins.

Any chance the serpae was nipping the angel and the fin rot is just a random bacterial infection that happened as a result?
BTW, what kind of test kit are you using? Those params sounds fine though. How long has the fin rot been present? How quickly is it spreading? Assuming you don't have sensitive tankmates, then I suggest doing more frequent pwc as a precaution and treating it with a bit of salt. If it still gets worse, you will have to use other products. Do any other fish show any symptoms?

I think that is what happened that is why I moved him. I am using an API master test kit. It is spreading qicker than I want it to so I moved him to my 10 gallon quarantine and started to treat with meds. I also had dwarf gouramis recovering with fin rot because of the tetra I will rehome him.

Well, if you have dg suffering too you might as well just treat the whole tank. The fact that more than 1 fish has it isn't a very good sign, but its hopefully just coincidence.
What meds are you using? Are you treating the dg's?

Ok. Sounds good. In that case it sounds fine to treat the angel in qt. Sorry, I didn't realize the dg were being treated. :)
Did you treat the dg in a qt too? Is the angel full grown?

Yes I did treat them in quarantine, the angel is about two and a half inches long and is in a ten gallon quarantine alone he seems to be ok

OK. He should be totally fine in a 10g qt for a bit then. Its sounds like you have a good handle on everything. Let us know how it goes! I hope the angel recovers ok. :)

The angel is very slowly healing but at least he is not getting worse the dwarf gouramies are okay now. Should I keep the angel in quarantine or move him to the 55

If he is healing, I would just put him back in the 55g personally. Since he has started healing, clean water should be enough for him to continue. Make sure keep a very close eye on your water params though. :)

He has healled but not completly however his fins have always been slightly frayed like they are now for the entire four months that i have owned him is it possible that his fins are just naturally frayed and that he never even had fin rot. He seems to get better then a little worse than back to normal(slightly frayes) since i had him.

He has healled but not completly however his fins have always been slightly frayed like they are now for the entire four months that i have owned him is it possible that his fins are just naturally frayed and that he never even had fin rot. He seems to get better then a little worse than back to normal(slightly frayes) since i had him.
Is he a veiltale? My veiltale always looks a bit frayed but my regular finned angels have very clean fin edges.

Back
Top Bottom