Fin Rot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PashNY

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a dwarf gourami and his fins are becoming dark starting from his head back. I have A good picture of it. Is this fin rot? All other fish seem fine and the gourami is acting normal

ForumRunner_20120926_163248.jpg

I'm not experienced with Gourami but with fin rot it's typically the edges of the fin that will turn black & begin to "dissolve" or rot away. What are your water parameters; ammonia, nitrites, nitrates? Is it possible they're ammonia burns? Or does it look more like he may be changing colors as some fish are known to do?

He can't extend his fin where the black coloring is.. It looks like it's been damaged or some sort of fungal infection. Would adding aquarium salt help?

PashNY said:
He can't extend his fin where the black coloring is.. It looks like it's been damaged or some sort of fungal infection. Would adding aquarium salt help?

Those are good parameters. When was your last water change? Typically if the water is kept extremely clean they'll heal up. Could he have injured himself on a decoration? Hopefully someone else will chime in.

I'll be doing a water change tomorrow. He does sometimes go into my fake driftwood decoration and he's kinda big for it.. Maybe the water change will help him.

Most likely fin rot. Are there any snails in the tank? Some carry parasites like ich, but they leave a black spot, rather than a white spot. Also if you've had unclean hands in the tank or some sort of stress. It could get infected and then into something similar to this. But this is most likely a type of fin rot. Give this little dude a salt bath and he should be just fine.

Hard to say....could be an injury. Is it red at all? Red typically means infection so you'd want antibiotics. Try keeping the water clean and nitrates under 10, you could add some aquarium salt (assuming the other fish can tolerate it too) and maybe some stress coat to promote healing. If that doesn't work stronger meds may be needed.

It's not red, it's black. I did a water change, added some salt and stress coat so we'll see if he gets better. I was at my LFS today and some of the Gourami's in the tank there have the same type of coloring so I'm not sure if this might be normal or those are sick too. We'll see.. Thanks for input

1 or 2 of our goldfish had black fins. We used interpet slime and velvet and it went away. Might help :)

Back
Top Bottom