Final made the change!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love it so far! Looks so much more natural, my fish are kinda freaked out though, I just added them back about 5 minutes ago lol but so far it's pretty cool! I just really hope I don't go into a mini cycle bc I lost all the BB in my gravel, plus my driftwood and decorations had time to mostly dry, so I ope my BB survived on that a bit, fortunately I still have my canister filter and HOB with plenty of bacteria :)

Freakgecko91 said:
I love it so far! Looks so much more natural, my fish are kinda freaked out though, I just added them back about 5 minutes ago lol but so far it's pretty cool! I just really hope I don't go into a mini cycle bc I lost all the BB in my gravel, plus my driftwood and decorations had time to mostly dry, so I ope my BB survived on that a bit, fortunately I still have my canister filter and HOB with plenty of bacteria :)

I think your bb will be fine.

As long as my fish are ok, I'm happy lol everyone is stressed, except for my black neons, who are all already back to normal color and running around in their mini school of 3 haha weird fish

The settled pic will probably come tomorrow, it's taking forever to settle, even though I washed the sand quite well

Keep a close eye on everything, I made a BIG mistake putting my sand in. the way its supposed to be done is that your supposed to take out gravel and replace it with sand a little at a time over a period of a week. I didn't know this (shame on me for not doing my homework) I threw my tank into a mini cycle and lost 9 fish. Now I feel like I'm starting back from square one with my tank

butterfly_koi said:
Keep a close eye on everything, I made a BIG mistake putting my sand in. the way its supposed to be done is that your supposed to take out gravel and replace it with sand a little at a time over a period of a week. I didn't know this (shame on me for not doing my homework) I threw my tank into a mini cycle and lost 9 fish. Now I feel like I'm starting back from square one with my tank

That shouldn't happen if you have enough BB in the filter. Just for the record, changing it all at once but leaving BB in the filter is also the correct way.

maxwellag said:
That shouldn't happen if you have enough BB in the filter. Just for the record, changing it all at once but leaving BB in the filter is also the correct way.

That's what I thought too but was told that that was wrong, I threw my tank into a mini cycle and had no clue as to why

butterfly_koi said:
That's what I thought too but was told that that was wrong, I threw my tank into a mini cycle and had no clue as to why

Usually if your tank is already cycled, it shouldn't have a mini cycle because there shouldn't be any ammonia ominous the tank, unless you remove enough of it when you switch. Next time I do that im going to be sure that I have a ton of established biomedia in my filter.

maxwellag said:
Usually if your tank is already cycled, it shouldn't have a mini cycle because there shouldn't be any ammonia ominous the tank, unless you remove enough of it when you switch. Next time I do that im going to be sure that I have a ton of established biomedia in my filter.

Its been up and running for four months hmm... Maybe that's not enough time for a good build up

The stock list is kinda long, it's really overstocked, I hope to set up a 20 long soon for my dicrossus maculatus and apistogramma cacatuoides. Basically it's just a school of bleeding heart and Serpae, and dwarf cichlids (Apistos, discrossus, and laetacara thayeri juvies) every cichlid is juvenile except for my dicrossus

Thanks! I'm rather proud of it :) working my way towards live plants with to sets of anachris and a java fern, waiting for the anachris to get much taller, so I can move it to the back and remove the fake plants :)

Back
Top Bottom