***Final Update*** My shopping list!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have to add my vote for canister as well. I have an Eheim myself that I am very happy with. :)

Very excited for you.. :)

Ummm...I did leave room for the equipment lines behind the tank ( :roll: ) unless you guys thought I was pushing the tank flush against the wall?? :wink: It's the additional 5" for the HOB that was cause for concern as I wouldn't have been able to do it at all with those numbers...hence, the canister solved the problem.

I just made another post (same forum) regarding lighting. I am looking at a 72gl bow front coming my way in the near future. You noted All-glass products for your tank, stand, hood and lighting.

What are you doing for light, and any recommendations/considerations you've received on that topic?

The lighting is the standard flourescents. Now, that you mentioned it, I didn't even check the specs on them. Since I'm doing low maintenance, I would guess that 1 watt per gallon would be ok.

Sorry Jchill, but I need some backstory. (I went through a period of low activity on the site, need some catch up)

What is your goal for this tank?

You mention planting the tank, but to what extent?

This is very important in the planning stages.

So far as lighting is concerned, even if you just want some low-light plants, I'd recommend more than the standard 1 tube 40 watt (I think) hood. I just went to the All-Glass website http://www.all-glass.com/index.shtml , they have a much better variety of 48" hoods than they used to.

Until I know the extent of your "planted tank" goals, I can't help at all with ideas for light, hood, or substrate.

I do agree with the folks who have said Cannister filter and dual heaters.

**have I lost my mind? I'm looking at the footprint of the 75 and geez, it just occurred to me that for 4" extra in height, I can have a 90g.

I'm in need of serious consultation at this point!

wathch the height, as you go over 18 inches you really get a lot of arm wet working on the bottom of the tank. No rolling up the sleeves, ya gotta take off the shirt over 22 inches. At least I have to! But part of the Y chromosone demands te highest possible capicity in all things, so go for it!

Ha! Did you notice that I currently have a 24" high tank? My X chromosome partner really thinks I've lost my mind :wink: Imagine the expression on her face when I mentioned this to her.

the moose predicts a 90 gallon will come home ;)
It isn't taking up anymore space... :)

Your lower back will thank you for choosing the 75 over the 90. I have a 90, and it is hell to work in! I'm 5'8", so I need a stepstool to work in the tank(at least so I can reach the substrate). Then, when I work in the tank for over 1/2 hour, my lower back is sore for several days.

OK, read original thread, and this one up til now.
You want low-light, no CO2, or fancy substrates, understood.

What will your wpg be with the standard hood you are getting?
(or did you already get it?, not clear to me)

Let's assume 1 wpg. These are my favorite low-light, no co2 plants.
Java Fern,
Java Moss,
African bolbitis.

All of these require driftwood or rocks to attach to.

I think you will not have enough light to grow Amazon Swords. However, Swords are the most hybrid-ized type of AQ plant available. You may be able to find some that require less light.

Thanks for the help and advice everyone. To answer your question Corvuscorax, yes, to all the above.

The lighting will be @ 1.4wpg. It's the standard AG black hood and flourescent set. I'm planning on a driftwood/rock complete mess (err...aquascape). Already have those picked out. If you've read the original thread, you may have seen anubias suggested also.

If needed, I am willing and able to increase the lighting wpg.

your whole experience sounds all too familiar Jchillin. I started (we started) out woth the 55gal. Then I convinced her of the extra depth and not "that" much more money. Once the 75 was sold it was time to push the 90... ...but it was not too be. Once I got it home though I am VERY glad I went with the 75. Just the right height to do work in the tank. I'm 5'10" and can reach all four corners on the bottom. It is interesting seeing how/what others do when planning a new tank. Ours seemed to change sizes every week, 55gal, 65 gal, 75, 90, into sopme hagen sizes of 66 and 73 back to the 55 and then my fortunate "accident" ending with the 75. AND LOVIN IT!!!!! hope it's not too much longer for you

CHILLI I have Anabus lancelotus and Anabus barti. I love both!

The barti is attached too a castle decoration and the lance is attached / floating between 2 pieces of driftwood.

I would recommend both :)

MooooooooOsE

LOL..The 75 has been ordered, will be in by the end of the week. Although I'm 6'2" and have experience in reaching into the 24" high tank, I realized what I was doing was extrapolating inches in small increments (ie 55 + 5"=75, 75 + 4" = 90), instead of thinking rationally. I kept thinking of all the "extra" gallons = extra livestock that I was sort of out of control. My wife reminded me or our "agreement" and common sense prevailed.

Moose, I will research the anabus and see if it fits. Also, it's great to see you back with all your passion (which has surely been missed). :D

Back
Top Bottom