***Final Update*** My shopping list!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
same as me, I was just thinking oooo more fish. I don't think a 90 could hold alot more fish the 75. If planned properly the 75 can handle ALOT of fish. Just have to remember to have top, mid and bottom dwellers...

By the way, I've totally forgotten my shopping list for plant care :oops: Considering the plants I'll be planting (J. ferns, anubias, etc.), what do I need for plant care (ie: ferts)?

Also, I'm a little confused regarding the canister. No surface agitation...outflow placement??? How does the water recieve an O2 exchange without surface agitation? One or more airstones??

Whoa this thread has really gone to town since I have been on the back burner! :D

Your canister is going to be drawing water through itself and back out underwater, and just like a swimming pool the water gets O2 right from the surface - no problem. The water is constantly moving and that is where you get your O2. If for some reason you need to increase aeration while (*crosses self*) you raise the temp to treat for ich, or whatever, you can just slide the spray bar up on its little suction cups and get your splashy action.

You are going to be so happy with the quiet unobtrusiveness of a canister, but don't forget these can be a nitrate factory so if you begin to have algae problems or an unexplained nitrate spike that you can't seem to control, increase your canister maintenance.

I don't recall in this lengthy thread whether cryptocoryne has been mentioned, but you certainly need nothing fancy at all for that, and it will, over time, spread and create very nice stands of plantings for you. As long as your substrate is not too large and is small gravel you could plant that. Marimo balls are also nifty low-light plants.

*Flash* JChillin creates swimming pool in home...film at 11! :D If my wife ever saw that, she'd just freak right out...LOL. No, no one has mentioned cryptocoryne, nor Marimo balls.

Thanks TG!

well i use the power jet nozzle with my canister. When i need to increase airation I, like tankgirl siad, just move it closer to the surface. The powerjet really makes some waves...

To give you ideas, my 55 has mostly low light plants in this pic, even though it is a high light tank. The spade-leafed plant all the way over to the right is a dwarf lily bulb that I got at Walmart, along with aponogeton bulbs, which would also work in your tank:
normal_55gal%20Jan%202005.jpg

In my 5.5gal the lillies stay pink and the stems short, but it is the same plant, in the front in this pic:

normal_5gal%20Endler%20Mar2005.jpg

Aquabotanic.com usually has them, so does AZGardens.com, or they used to. I think they are the coolest! I've had mine for years.

I have a moss ball and think its pretty cool also! GET ONE of those Chillin!

Moose :)

LOL I agree on the moss balls. I have two and they are awesome. Though, I like TankGirls suggestion of three. Now I have to go get another. :wink:

Well folks, my shopping list is finally complete. Here's the list (doesn't include the livestock/plants):

Substrate - Estes (blue jean) - A must, wife didn't like any other colors
Heaters - Visi-Therm 300w x2 - Why not?
Filter - Fluval 404 (Questions - If placed under stand, need to be in container of some sort eh?. How much tubing is needed?)
Decor - Two pieces of driftwood and two rock formations (links below). *The rainbow is also wife's suggestion.

http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=21537;category_id=1689;pcid1=1695;pcid2=
http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=21549&category_id=1689&pcid1=1695
http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=20313;category_id=1669;pcid1=1695;pcid2=
http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=20303;category_id=1669;pcid1=1695;pcid2=

For the record, the prices at BigAls are so much better than at any LFS that I will be saving $$$ that can and will be used for livestock/plants :D

Thanks for your help and cooperation thus far.

Yes, a rubbermaid tub that fits under your stand is a nice touch with a canister filter. it will catch the drips that happen when you do maintenance. The fluval comes with enough tubing to be placed under the tank. No in line heater? Thats ok, since you wanted two heaters, and have only one fluval, go for the symetry of two submersibles. Of course, if you look at my signature, I would go with two fluval 404's on a 75 with two in line heaters, if the budget allowed. But as you say, the list is complete after much deliberation.

Edit: Ah - I just remembered the space issues you had! unedit.

Estes is the best gravel there is, IMHO, a wise choice. Don't forget to comparison shop at petsolutions.com, they have a $4.99 shipping special this week, i think.

Bigals is $13.49 for 5lb bag for the Estes $40.00 total.
It is rather hard for other online retailers to beat Big Al's, isn't it? The only time petsolutions came out better was when I had a coupon or some other shipping descount. And you did mean a 25 pound bag, right?

Yep, 25 lb...thanks for pointing that typo out (sheesh, $13.49 for a 5lb bag? man that's expensive stuff...LOL).
and pretty sparse coverage too, 15 lbs in a 75 gal tank! :mrgreen:

I find that deep dishpans (as we old-timers used to use to wash dishes in the sink back in the day :wink: ) work the best for canister filters, and will fit in the cabinet of the stand.

Back
Top Bottom