Finalizing a 210g Stocking List...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SkinnyPete

Aquarium Advice Freak
So, after much thought I've got what is the start of a stocking list for my much anticipated 210 gallon upgrade. I've posted a few times for suggestions, but now I've got a list of my own. Keep in mind that this is a wish list and I am looking for feedback. I realize I have a lot of real estate. Some of these fish get pretty large so I hope I'm not overdoing it. The only fish on this list that MUST stay is a porcupine puffer for my wife.

So, these would be in a 210g with 50g sump/fuge. In order of what I'd like the most to the least...

1 Porc Puffer
1 Blue Faced Angel
1 Blue Throat Trigger
1 Blonde Naso Tang <-- would love this fish, but I know it needs lots of room.
School (3-4) Heni's (black and white bannerfish)
1 Picasso Trigger (<-- threw this in last minute, understand aggression may be a problem)
1 snowflake eel <-- always like to have an eel, but could also be sacrificed.
1 Wrasse of some sort <--- could definitely be sacrificed

I realize 210g is a big tank, but looking at this list seems too much. Your thoughts?

What kind of filtration will you have? 1.5 lbs per gallon of LR, a good skimmer and a refuge?

I have 200lbs of lr to begin with but will be adding more gradually to get to 300ish. Funny how empty 200lbs of rock looks in such a large tank. ASM G3 skimmer and about 15 gallon fuge (with caulerpa on 24h lighting) built into a 50g sump. I'm also going to add a submersed live rock chamber in the sump before restarting this, so water is forced through a lot of rock rubble.

I actually discussed with the wife tonight and we decided to drop the eel from the list officially. I've had one in almost every tank I've owned. I can skip the extra bioload since we usually only see him during feeding time.

I'm a big believer in good flow so I've also just ordered 3 Koralia 4s, plus my 2 returns from the sump should provide nice water movement.

With that much bio filtration and that size tank and dropping the eel you probably will be OK. My only problem is that you have some messy eaters there and really cant have much of a clean up crew since they will end up as snacks. Just thinking out loud.

This may be a different thread altogether, but as far as clean-up crew goes for this tank I've decided on only 2" sand bed instead of a DSB. So, think I might be able to get away with a larger diamond watchman goby to at least help keep the sand clean? I'm assuming my picasso and possibly porc may be an issue here, but possibly if I introduce the goby first and start with smaller sized trigger and puffer?

have you thought about bare bottom. with a lot of flow, although you have messy eaters the flow will keep it from settling and ultimately it will get cleaned out of your tank. you wouldnt need any sand and you would have to worry about buying a goby to clean.. just a thought.. as far as the list goes the porcupine puffer is nice, im a big fan of them. the angel is a nice pick, drop the picasso trigger and get a male and a female blue throat... that would be fantastic. keep the eel and drop the wrasse.. that would give you 5 fish total and still leave you room for what i would say is one more.. which could be your tang.. im a big fan of triggers and although you want variety, i still think the pair of blue throats would be something that you would like, or anyone would like.. :)

have you thought about bare bottom. drop the picasso trigger and get a male and a female blue throat... that would be fantastic. im a big fan of triggers and although you want variety, i still think the pair of blue throats would be something that you would like, or anyone would like.. :)

Dropping the picasso might be a good idea for many reasons. If I drop the picasso, I think the puffer will really be the only thing that will stop me from having a clean-up crew. I know some people have had luck getting puffers small and training them on dead food pretty successfully. A local guy has 2 in a tank with shrimp and snails and insists it can be done if you start young.

As far as bare bottom, I did think about it - but, I just don't like the look. I'm a fan of the natural look with sand.

So, we relist....

1 Porc Puffer
1 Blue Faced Angel
2 Blue Throat Trigger (male/female)
1 Blonde Naso Tang
School (3-4) Heni's (black and white bannerfish)
1 (reef safe) Wrasse of some sort

that looks like a fantastic list... i know i stressed the blue throat triggers as a pair, and i am truly sticking by that.. i think you will love it!!!

I love the Blonde Naso. I have a female Naso (aka lipstick tang). They are veracious eaters and poopers so a good skimmer is a plus. I also like the Blue Faced Angel. It's a toss up for me between that one and the Half Moon Angel. Very hardy angel too..
Lastly, I love a school of green/blue Chromis. In a 210, that would be awesome! That's my 2 cents.

Regards,

Mike

Back
Top Bottom