Finally - 40 Breeder Reef Journal/Build Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a red and a green millepora, I just took a pic of the green one. I just have an MP10, but I'm probably going to get something else to put opposite it, maybe another mp10 in slave mode... not sure yet.

mfdrookie516 said:
I have a red and a green millepora, I just took a pic of the green one. I just have an MP10, but I'm probably going to get something else to put opposite it, maybe another mp10 in slave mode... not sure yet.

Lolololool there's a slave mode?

yeah. you set one as the master, then up to 3 or 4 as slaves. you can have them copy what the master is doing, or you can have them do the opposite... so on reefcrest mode, as it's winding down, the other can be winding up.... or both can wind down/up together.

mfdrookie516 said:
yeah. you set one as the master, then up to 3 or 4 as slaves. you can have them copy what the master is doing, or you can have them do the opposite... so on reefcrest mode, as it's winding down, the other can be winding up.... or both can wind down/up together.

Lmao master and slave?? Now you're trolling

Jon, way too much wasted wall space. Get a 125 and use the 40 as a sump! :cool:

You may be able to a get a 96" in there too, custom made tank. Now your talking.(y)

Ha! That wall is short. If I go out any further, we'll not be able to walk up the stairs! Plus, it's upstairs, not sure I'd want a big tank up on the 3rd floor.

Here are two pics I took this morning. I sat an empty (and dirty) 20 long up where my refugium will be once I get my bulkhead in this week. I am slowly filling up the tank... I'm just waiting on some new water to finish mixing. Got my reactor mounted this morning as well.

img_1757421_0_9920fc05557abe3bf6a45b81449b752b.jpg

img_1757421_1_3b1858b068bfcf0aee37d42dc212ebba.jpg

Trying to figure out how I want to set up the refugium. I am going to put a small powerhead in it to try and get the chaeto to tuble. It has tripled in size in the 2 weeks or so that I've had it. I'd say it'll grow a lot quicker once I get 2x24w T5HO over it... and the bulbs are plant bulbs, so it should be happy.

Should I put sand in the refugium? I was considering baffling off a small section (6x12x6?) and putting a DSB in.

NO, not enough area for a DSB to do anything, so skip the sand. Like I told you, the cheato in my sump does not tumble and you see how fast it grows. I have an 18w cfl lighting it (24/7) and it just grows.

I know this is random but how long did it take for the rock to arrive? I ordered a week ago and never got a tracking number or shipping notification.

Nice set up Jonathan. Are you going to skin the stand with anything?

Yeah, eventually. For now, I think I'm just going to drape a sheet over it.

I know this is random but how long did it take for the rock to arrive? I ordered a week ago and never got a tracking number or shipping notification.

I can't remember, but it wasn't the next day or anything. He sent me an email right after I ordered asking me what kind of rock I wanted, then I didn't hear back for several days, then I got a tracking number one day. He has a phone number on his website... you can call him and ask for the status.

You better get it started! Empty tanks suck!!!

Ziggy pointed out a flaw in my scape that I failed to notice until he said something. I am going to fill in that 'cave' on the right with a rock so it doesn't look so fake. I can't believe I missed it.

Im starting it but i am doing a Lot of diy stuff on it so its taking me a while.

Attachments

• image-2280196313.jpg
    image-2280196313.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 82
Start a build thread and document the whole thing! DIY stuff is great... since everyone does it a bit differently. Looks like you're off to a good start.

Back
Top Bottom